Price of a bag of coal?

Options

Comments

• Chef1980uk
    Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to update an old thread but its first in a google search so thought best to stick with it.

Having moved back in May, we haven't had to use the coal fire as regularly as we may now do. We've had a leaflet through the door of the local coal man who charged £12.50 per 50kg up until the end of August. Not knowing the new price for winter, what is it likely to be? and can coal be found and ordered cheaper online?

the coal is needed for our central heating as its a back boiler one connected to all the radiators.
  • JMartin
    JMartin Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    We currently pay £210 for a tonne of household doubles in South Lanarkshire - that's £10.50 for 50kgs. We've had no indication that this will rise, although with fuel going up again I can see it coming.

Beware of cheap coal as it's often full of dross which is a false economy since you'll spend all winter freezing cold and angry that you spent a couple of hundred pounds on dross.

If you have the storage it's often a bit cheaper to buy by the tonne.

Also, if you can afford it you will do well to install a multifuel stove with back boiler. We have done this this year and the savings are very noticable. Yesterday for example we put a bucket of coal on in the morning and it was still burning when we went to bed. Compare that to what you get with your open fire and you'll see that it's well worth the investment. Last year with the open coal fire (with back boiler) we used 14 bags a fortnight in the depths of winter - I would day there were about 3 of our buckets in a bag.

In a fairly large house we have a stove that is reputed to heat 16 radiators (we have 6) and it does the heating and water with ease. It cost £3,000 for the stove and installation including having the chimney lined.
  • JMartin
    JMartin Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I've remembered (typical you click on post an then remember) our stove is a Charnwood Country 16b.
  • galba
    galba Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    In September 2006 we were paying per 50kg. bag - £6.38 for housecoal and £6.95 for anthracite peas. Current price is £9.71 for coal and £11.55 for anthracite.

Heating and hot water cost for September 08 to August 09 was £1069.00 which is probably about the same as it would be for gas if we had it. The house is in a very exposed position 1200 feet up in the pennines.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I dread to think what the price of smokeless fuel has gone up to this winter here. Not had any from the coal man since about March time.
  • icequeen1969
    Options
    i know this is an old thread but very interesting all the same. in the 8 years weve been at our coal fired home anthracite has gone up from £6 per bag to £16.20 this year per 50kg bag(delivered)...rip off! in the past year alone its gone up from £13 a bag...more than inflation me thinks. Now im all for supporting and buying off local businesses however im thinking of looking elsewhere and bulk buying, shame but we use 1-3 bags dependent on weather per week which adds up to a hefty fuel bill annually.:mad:

any ideas of where to bulk buy from a company who delivers in north lincs s!!!!horpe area gratefully recieved as i fear this winter may cripple us or freeze us!
    thanks in advance xxxx
  • confuseddad_2
    Options
    Just bought two bags of coke. Smokless zone area and paid 12.00 per 50kg bag. Tyneside area. Good or bad??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just bought two bags of coke. Smokless zone area and paid 12.00 per 50kg bag. Tyneside area. Good or bad??

I paid £13.00 per 50KG bag last march. Not bought any since as don't use it over the summer.

My coal man has likely to of put it up again as it goes up at least twice a year!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coal from my local merchant (East Kent) is still on a summer price schedule until 30th September. No doubt there will be a price rise in addition after that date!

If you have a local coal merchant it's worth checking if they are stull selling at summer rates.

For the record, we are being charged £15.15 for one 50 kg bag of 'Group C' coal, with small discounts if you order multiple bags.
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options

Please PM me where from. That's £3 - £4 quid cheaper than I can get Supertherm from CPL (Coals4u now I think).

CPL are currently still on their "summer" prices. Which is to say exactly the same as last winters prices and in a call to them on Friday it is likely to go up before the end of the month :(

I need somewhere cheaper delivering to North Tyneside.
    :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport