How long does a refund back onto a card take?

Paid for an item using my Alliance and Leicester debit card, They refunded me yesterday back onto my card, the girl said it would take a couple of days, Santander said 10 working days, quite a difference really. Add to that my card has since been cancelled but they wanted the original card I apid with

Comments

• Olipro
    Olipro Posts: 717 Forumite
    it's typically within 3 working days of the merchant submitting the refund for settlement.
  • My recent refund from Argos took 3 days to go back in to my account. ie...I took the item back on a Wednesday Morning and the funds had cleared by Friday. Although the original transaction took same amount of time to come out of my account so can't complain.

;)Tip: for bigger item purchases (or impusle buys on stuff that I'm not sure of) always pay with cash so that you can get money back refund there and then should I change my mind later as sometimes it can take 5 days for the funds to go back!
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    The norm is about 3 days
  • heloid
    heloid Posts: 472 Forumite
    As above, 3 days max from experience also.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's always been about 3 days for me, but we're talking about Santander here...
  • I had a refund from a shop come back into my account the next day, I don't know how it got back so fast, maybe they banked with same branch.
  • I have had refunds on my debit card, an they have gone in later on the same day, but others take a few days. In this day and age with the technology the way it is it should be instant really, they can freeze the money in ur account when u pay instantly, but takes time to refund u.
  • How many days it take for monny to go back into my acount after returning an item paid with my debit card to aldi,im realy wanting to know how long it takes for them to put monny back into my acount.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    slugger09 wrote: »
    Paid for an item using my Alliance and Leicester debit card, They refunded me yesterday back onto my card, the girl said it would take a couple of days, Santander said 10 working days, quite a difference really. Add to that my card has since been cancelled but they wanted the original card I apid with

That will slow things down.
    As the credit will go onto one of their internal accounts and then have to be worked to your account.
    I would go with Santander on the timescale, as they should know how long they have to work them.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hopefully the OP you quoted will have received their money by now, No bank takes 3 years to re-credit a transaction!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure