PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 July 2010 at 11:39PM
    I have just read through the posts, and what an inspiring lot we are on here ,even though some of us are feeling a bit down and blue we can all see that we are in the same boat together I only wish the politicians could read some of the stories on here about how the general public are coping .No gilt-edged feather-bedded pensions or expenses for the man/woman in the street. Its often a case of walking to a cheaper shop or buying second hand, not that there is anything wrong with doing that .Far better than getting into debt and it keeping you awake at night. I live in Kent and the other day there was a discussion on local radio about how the local county council is going to spend 12 million quid on a large white horse to be erected at Ebbsfleet so when visitors get off the Chunnel Train they will see this as a sort of 'angel of the south ' statue.This is a council that is going to cut at least 12.000 jobs and put thousands of people on the scrapheap.
    Although I live in the south-east we too have a large unemployment problem,not as much true as other parts, but none the less its creeping slowly southwards.Education is being cut right, left and centre, and our schools are falling to bits.I know the country is in a mess but throwing millions of pounds on a blasted statue of a white horse is absurd .Perhaps it should be a white elephant instead it would be more appropriate
    When are politicians going to wake up and see what is happening in our green and pleasant land.
    I worry about how my grandchildren will cope and what sort of future is there for them.I grew up during the austerity period of post-war Britain and I never thought we would be turning back the clock in the 21st century.We do have better facilities than in the 1950s but at what cost to the community.Whe a woman has an accident and folk look the other way its a sad sign of the lack of care that is abounding at times .
    When someone posts a page on the internet hailing a killer as a hero what sort of message does that give our young people.I have always had great faith in the young people of this country, but the Government are not helping them to have a future by shutting things down we need something to kick start things again and perhaps less thoughts of what's in it for their personal gain, and more of what can be done to help.Politicians with their hands in the till does not send out a good image for kids to emmulate
  • Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this thread tonight I hope no-one minds me joining.

I noticed a couple of people had written about things they do in the school holidays to keep the boredom at bay we have a few things planned some will depend on the weather, I plan to have a couple of picnics one on the beach and one at the woods whilst at the woods the girls will have a list of things to find and the first one to collect all the things on the list will get a prize (i will pick something up from the pound shop!) If the weather is bad it will be a carpet picnic and treasure hunt round the house or maybe a dvd.
    We will spend one afternoon a week baking, one afternoon scrapbooking or making models out of empty loo rolls,boxes etc.
    We will do some card making and put these away for birthdays.
    There will also be swimming and maybe a trip to the pictures.The things we do will all be very cheap if not free. I have 3 children 2 girls 14,10 and a boy 3 so can be hard work finding something that they will all like:D
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    I was beginning to fret about 3mths ago when it was evident I couldn't spend less than twenty quid in a visit to the supermarket, but now it's rising every time & almost breaking the £25 mark :eek: Just today I bought apples, pears, grapes [on offer], weenie pork shoulder [also on offer] & a couple of other bits--£24:45!

I am glad it's not just me that has noticed this all my friends seem to be just carrying on as normal and when I have mentioned the supermarkets prices they dont seem to have noticed but me and my aunt have:(
    I'd like to announce I have a flower on one of my tomato plants. Yay me! I feel like a proud mum. Awaiting a whopper harvest now!

And one of mine has to:T:T this is my first year of growing anything so am really pleased.

Katholicos I do hope you are ok after your accident, I find it sad though that no body even asked if you were ok :(
    :jmember of the thrifty gifty 2011 :j
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you everyone for such kind words and birthday congratulations.
    Thats what I love about mse and oldstyle most of all everyones so nice no rows like on other boards.
    Cant belive people dont stop to help breakdowns and that people celeberate awful people on fb whats world coming to now im sound 30 going on 60.

I have been a bit down latly its been a struggle last few months july is cartax and mot so was dreading it.
    Also in back of mind my daughter starts school so needs uniform , new shoes and coat already spent 40pound but she needs few more bits shoes and coat be most expensive.
    Also both girls are growing fast and need new stuff in general.

I curse the house as seems to shrink since we had kids we need more storage but cant afford it.

our bed frame broke propped up by toolbox
    chest of draws broke
    wardrobe door has fallen off.
    beige carpet in lounge is beyond repair
    oven is complete rubbish but landlord says its fine.
    Daughter needs big girls bed and more storage.

just seems never ending me and hubby have an enrich list of things some really stupid that would make life better.

Today hubby took me shopping in ikea for birthday got

pie dish
    tupperware
    ladel so dont ave to serve stew with icecream spoon
    cake tin
    pie tin
    pastry brush
    new pan

I know not very exiting but I need them as do lots of cooking and enjoy it.
    saves us money and really want to get better at baking cakes, biscuits and desserts as im fine with main courses.

I know we lucky rents lower than most its long term rent so some security and in lovley area close to shops , parks and good school.

downside is

landlord says no to a dog when kids far more destructive.
    keeping chickens be nice too.
    kitchen and bathroom desperatly need replacing very dated.
    new build so 3rd bedroom a box room and 2nd room small double

I have kind of accepted if we dont buy in next 5-7years then it wont happen.
    would love to rent older property more spacious but wrong time.
    hubby 38 feels even worse he does not own.
    most people we know do own especially in their 30,s
    we get by just on one income its hard yet mums at school have very expensive cars and live in huge houses not jealous just baffled most of time.

Im lucky love hubby been married 7years this october and have 2lovley girls do hope for 1 more but will see.
    As for stepson hes never happy, some says its his age but hes alwasy been bit ungreatful and spoilt think hubby overcompensated when he was young as felt bad.

The garden exites hubby and we have huge veg patch this year.
    I know like my nan says plenty people worse off then you.
    i try not to wallow but live in very affluent area and some days feel like the pauper of estate.

At school today there was another collection.
    Theres fundraising every month.
    most mums think im well strange not driving and seem to feel sorry for me but everythings walkable and im quite fit.
    Would love mobility of a car but cant afford it right now, sold vespa as cant fit baby in backbox.

The kids make me so happy, its hard but rewarding.
    Yes i worry about their future.
    stepsons 12 and behind acadmeically i suspect e will leave school at 16 with few or little qualifications and have trouble finding work in small town he lives in.
    mine guess im little more hopeful hoping country be fixed by then and theres some hope.

But worry about their education getting them into decent secondary
    affording a few hobbies like sports/music and school trips.

Dont really have illusions of being rich as such just wish i could walk round supermarket without dreading what bill is and buying couple small treats every now and then like buying in sales.
    Not having to avoid phonecalls and dreading bills postie might bring would be nice.
    Having days where im not thinking or worrying about money.

Still we tight as family and really embracing oldstyle way of life. kids too young to realise altough im mostly saying no to eldest as its too expensive.
    Money has brought me and hubby closer together he feels dissapointed he cant provide for his family but truth is life is expensive and sometimes on paper it seems good wage but we never have any spare cash.

I wish i could help out more and hoping dog walking might work, lots of stupidly rich people round my parts with dogs.
    Given up applying for part time jobs was so depressing.

going to pay off debts over next few months and try and save so maybe next sept can start a course and career plan as still dont know what want to do when grown up but hope to be positive role model to kids and instil good money sense in them.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • mummyslittleboy
    mummyslittleboy Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    gailey wrote: »
    Having days where im not thinking or worrying about money.

Still we tight as family and really embracing oldstyle way of life. kids too young to realise altough im mostly saying no to eldest as its too expensive.
    Money has brought me and hubby closer together he feels dissapointed he cant provide for his family but truth is life is expensive and sometimes on paper it seems good wage but we never have any spare cash.

I wish i could help out more and hoping dog walking might work, lots of stupidly rich people round my parts with dogs.
    Given up applying for part time jobs was so depressing.

going to pay off debts over next few months and try and save so maybe next sept can start a course and career plan as still dont know what want to do when grown up but hope to be positive role model to kids and instil good money sense in them.

Hi gailey,

If dog walking doesn't work how about taking in people's ironing maybe that could be an option.

You are doing your best and that's all any of us can do. 4 years ago I had a very good job, we rented a piece of land and we had pigs,chickens and ducks we had a lovely life girls went horse riding 3 times a week and we didn't have to worry about the bills.Now I live in council rented house and am not working but looking after kids and spending time with tham,don't get me wrong I miss having the land and animals and a job,but I love being with the kids my eldest is 14 and this is the first time in her life I have not worked, but my son has various health problems and finding childcare for him just wasnt possible not only that the various hospital appointments etc that he has it would have been a nightmare with work.Once he starts school then I will find something to fit around school.

Your friends might have money but you have the love of your family and your child will learn well from you.
    I did have a giggle when I saw you went t ikea for your birthday that used to be my favourite birthday present:D
    Have you tried looking on freecycle to see if there are any household bits on there that would help you out?
    School uniform can be expensive last year Tesco did the whole uniform for £25.00 coat,shoes,socks,skirt and polo tops I got one for DD2 and it did her fine just a case of keeping an eye on the offers:D
    :jmember of the thrifty gifty 2011 :j
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ahh my ironing skills are frightful definate no no my mam used to do it.
    Love ikea but was bit rubbsih today got overcharged on few things
    But cant wait to use new cake trays and pans quite domesticated in kitchen at least.

I know theres positives to me being at home love being with kids left eldest in day nursury from 10months as tried to work fulltime.

Do miss working, having own identity and times and just adult company apart from overcompetative pushy parents at school.

must join freecycle.

got 2cardies direct from school plus pe bag, book bag and hat as all emblemmed.
    Got asda 10quid deal june 5shirts, 5polos, 2skirts.
    need 2more skirts, pinafore, 2more blouses, pe kit and summer dress as sept still warm month.sainsburys and asda do some so will go there .
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 July 2010 at 1:37AM
    Hi everyone

Four years ago my oh became ill and I am now his full time carer, so money is very tight and I have to be really inventive. I try to treat it as a game or a challenge. Luckily I have a few practical skills, cooking, sewing, diy etc. Yes we are in debt but I just do what I can to pay it down and pay our way. MSE has been a lifeline.

I just wanted to comment about something Jackie O said about her local council wasting money on a sculpture of a white horse. Our local council is doing something similar - a new £33 milion, yes million!!! building for their HQ.

They justify this wanton extravagance by saying the money has already been earmarked. How many jobs or services could this have saved. Flash new buildings could surely wait a couple of years or so until things pick up. It seems like madness. Rant over.

Gailey - don't torture yourself - you are doing your best. You are giving your family your time and love - far more important than "stuff".
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Happy birthday gailey x
    Know what you love about lack of money etc, were in the same boat, all the kids are wandering around with flash ds's etc., ours well not a chance.
    Last year we got our eldest a pc for his room, cost us a small fortune, but we saved up all year for it. He loved it and hopefully it will last throughout his secondary school years. So i'm trying not to feel depressed / gutted about the price by outweighing the good points of it.
    Silvercharmer thanks for all tips regarding wUL etc going to have a look in wilkos for the various bits and pieces next week.
    v8monkeyboy sorry to hear about your OH, but as everyone has previously said they is always nursing jobs, don't worry everything will work out for xx
    Sequeena:- i know this sounds silly, but love you need to eat more than once a day. Even if its soup and bread. It will help feel happier in yourself doing it x,
    Jamanda,"siege mentality" yep thats me lol cupboards stacked up tins lol actually need more flour and tins next week.
    kath what rotten people out there, how are you now xx

Well i used to lurk on the old thread but never posted as it was just so darn long, but if its okay i'll join up with all from now on x
    Okay my introduction, well theres me, my OH and two boys aged 10 and 6 yrs old. Were all becoming more oldstyle. We Over the past few years we've really curbed our spending but due to unfprseen cicrumstances got ourselves back in debt paying basics like food and rent.
    I've started making my curtains,cushion, bags, reusing old clothes for rags, cooking everything from scratch. My OH is a crack hand at DIY and he's hopefully going to be gas safe registered by the end of july:j. He just finished some of gas assessments on Tuesday, so forked for them but its all good. He's currently full time employed but his contract is on a weekly basis, so everything is still up in the air at the moment. We use freecyclle al ot as i hate waste, have giving loads of our clothes on they and been given a few things too.
    My boys are now in the mindset that car boot sales and charity are great as they are guaranteed a book whenever we go in one. Guaranteed they ask every sunday to go to one, and called one of the parents at school a "ignoramus" for thinking they were full of tat. In the words of my 6yr old "its called recycling!!!

so were slowly getting they, but its really tough, were living in our overdrafts but were still keeping up with repayments, paying the rent etc
    Over the summer holidays were planning on visiting lots of castles, with lots of picnics (all HM). We decided to invest in an english heritage deal where you pay £77 for a joint couple (annual)and up to 6 kids can go in free. We thought it was a good deal and already paid for itself the first two months we had it. CAncelled the direct debit though so it couldn't automatically go out next year. We skint ourselves buying it but its been goof so far.

Well i've posted my life story lol, thanks for starting up the thread Ceridwen x
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happy new thread, seven pages already???? Just goes to show the amount of increasing interest in reducing our costs of living. I make crab apple jelly every year, and the tree in the garden looks like there will be a fantastic harvest this year. I am also nursing along a couple of tomato plants (flowers and small fruits already showing), some runner bean plants that are already in flower, some pepper plants which show no signs yet of fruiting, a load of raspberry bushes which are showing the odd berry here and there, and a few troughs of salad leaves that I use for all salad meals. There are even a few potato plants resurrected from last year which are in full leaf. Every morning I check out all the plants, like Ebeneezer Scrooge checking out his bank balance! Must get round to making the laundry liquid, it sounds really nice.

I too am like you, I inspect mine 1st thing in the morning. I dont have a garden its a yard. Previous years gone it was all tubs and baskets with flowers. Apart from some red salvia I now have tomatoes in the hanging baskets and in the tubs, salad leaves (rocket'lollo rosso etc) runners courgettes potatoes and all herbs.
    Its surprising how many lovely flowers you get with veg:)
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Gailey my love Ikea is VERY exciting, don't ever apologise for your choices, in anything! I worked abroad for years and when i came home and got a store management position I couldn't beleive what people would come and blow in one go. It used to really rattle me as my salary was low and I remember saying to my mum 'How on earth do they do it'. She said 'Maybe it's on credit to keep up with the Joneses and they don't sleep because of it, maybe they have men who buy them it but aren't that nice to them or maybe they've been sat in some mind numbing job for the last 10 years and they do this rather than jumping out the window!!!' We don't know what others really feel about their finances because it's a tabboo topic and they wont really talk about it. On here we are talking and able to honest and that's what I love about MSE. I'm in a different position to most folk on here and suppose I don't really 'fit in' but I love it and it has got me and my money on the right track so I will stay and say for me too it has been tough, but thanks to MSE I manage okay!
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    smileyt wrote: »
    Hey gailey:

:bdaycake:

Happy birthday for tomorrow.

Actually, getting older isn't as bad as people think. You become more 'you', which in your case sounds like a good thing. I hope you enjoy a lovely birthday snuggle with your daughters and hubby.

Happy Birthday from me as well:D

One huge advantage - I find - is that one gets less concerned with what "other people" think - in a good way I hasten to add:).

Old/er age is where you sit back and think "Thank goodness I didn't listen to (too many <cough>) siren voices as to how I should lead my life. I did it my way (bring on the Frank Sinatra tune now...:rotfl:).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure