Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire?

Options
2»

Comments

• prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello everyone
    does anyone know how much a back boiler cost to put in as well as wood burner?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • doyouwantfrieswiththat
    Options
    If you can, get the gas in, they will take all they tanks away including one in loft.
  • flipperNI_2
    Options
    Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flipperNI wrote: »
    Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.

that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • flipperNI_2
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,

Hers was connected to her heating system.

If i can remember right from when we done ours, its only two pipes to reconnect, if a boiler was in before, we disconnected ours when we got the oil in. With the price of oil being so high we decided to reconnect to the open fire. Not a big job. I dont remember how much it cost but i know it was not a lot.

Someone that knows more will be able to fill you in.
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?
  • jessejazza
    jessejazza Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?

Bit late to reply as you are probably sorted now. I'm just going down a similar route. The clip in boiler will do you hot water but no more. If you want to do rads as well you really need a boiler stove (it has a wrap around boiler in the back of the stove). But they give out quite a lot of heat to the room. Quite a bit of plumbing needs to be considered though. I am considering a coal boiler as that will certainly do a good few radiators.
  • Sophie_779
    Options
    See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
    If so how much would it cost roughly?
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    Sophie_779 wrote: »
    See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
    If so how much would it cost roughly?

you can get stoves with integral "back boilers".

Tends to be the larger models though.... probably not worth it on the smaller ones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure