How long does it take to get a tax rebate?

Comments

• Stubert
    Stubert Posts: 733 Forumite
    I have a tax issue that I don't really know where I stand. I'm working two jobs for a couple of weeks over the summer but one is paid through an agency and paid weekly. I've started another job during the day but won't be paid for the first timet until the end of this month. I'm due to receive my P45 from work I did in April (I'm a horrible student hence long working gaps) which I was going to give to my main employer but will I be deemed as having two jobs and therefore be taxed at 22% (on my second job)? I'm on emergency tax through the agency so losing quite a lot of money through tax and I'm aiming to earn just under the tax threshold for the year.

Should I ask for the P45 from the agency (but I may do a couple of weeks work later in my university holidays for them?) that I've done this other work for or just give them the one from April, can I also give them a P38 (student form - I know I couldn't with two jobs but technically I won't be employed by the agency at the end of the month?)? Not that I'm trying to de-fraud the Government or anything, I just don't want to have to wait probably to next April to claim the tax back as the tax money would be very useful and could be earning interest in my savings accounts...

Sorry if that's a bit of a vague ramble.
  • tooney83
    tooney83 Posts: 34 Forumite
    hi wonder if anyone can help me for the past 5 years i have been off and on work and i definetly know that i am due for a tax refund refun. The only problem is that i dont have a p45 or p60 because my ex wife have destroyed them all due to our divorce. I do have all employer details and date that i have been working so can i still claim tax back? i have just told one of them tax refund company that i dont want them to deal with my case anymore, they were really not nice when i said that but what the hell lol. i have now notified that i dont want silly company dealing with my case but you think HMRC can deal with my case without p45 and p60? please can anyone help me
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    tooney83 wrote: »
    hi wonder if anyone can help me for the past 5 years i have been off and on work and i definetly know that i am due for a tax refund refun. The only problem is that i dont have a p45 or p60 because my ex wife have destroyed them all due to our divorce. I do have all employer details and date that i have been working so can i still claim tax back? i have just told one of them tax refund company that i dont want them to deal with my case anymore, they were really not nice when i said that but what the hell lol. i have now notified that i dont want silly company dealing with my case but you think HMRC can deal with my case without p45 and p60? please can anyone help me

if you don't have P60's or P45's you need to ask your employers for "statement of earnings". When you get them send them to your tax office and ask for a review.

BTW since my earlier post I have found out that if the Leicester and North Hants area are dealing with your claim you should expect a delay of approx 12 weeks before any payment is sent to you. Such is this size of the backlog they are dealing with.
  • tooney83
    couldn't the tax office do the statement of earning for me from my ex employer? if they can't what if my previous employer wont give me one? is it by law that they have to?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    tooney83 wrote: »
    couldn't the tax office do the statement of earning for me from my ex employer? if they can't what if my previous employer wont give me one? is it by law that they have to?

HMRC will not give you any details because it is up to you to provide all your income details when asking for a tax rebate. Also there is no guarantee that HMRC will have all your details anyhow. Not all employers are diligent about sending in information to HMRC.
  • tooney83
    What if the employer refuse to give me statement of earnings?
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Minimods wrote: »
    I have been waiting 3 months!! Only just got an acknowledgement of my first letter last week, asking for my P60. Phoned them and they say they haven't even got to opening the letter that contains my P60, sent 2 months ago :o

Leicestershire tax office by the way.

Me too. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago to be told that they are currently dealing with April's post!

Have sent originals but kept a photocopy just in case they don't receive them. I'm due just under £1000 so I hope they hurry up!
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • tooney83
    What if the employer refuse to give me statement of earnings? sorry need to ask again please can anyone answer this
  • I am experiencing the same difficulties getting my overpaid taxes back. I am due £780 (only worked part of the year), boyfriend is due £1300 (was on emergency tax and also worked only for part of the year).

My boyfriend and I mailed our P60s and all of our stuff to the Northeast Metropolitan Area tax office on the 9th of May.

I called on 25 May and they told me that they were only dealing with post received on the 12 of March.

It's the end of July now....still waiting....no conf. letter.....no cheque in the post. Have been calling every day now for the past 3 weeks and have not been able to get through even once. There is a recorded message saying that they "are dealing with high call volume".

All I can say is, trying to get your taxes back is a BLOODY FREAKING NIGHTMARE.

If you are struggling to make ends meet like me and my boyfriend it is honestly an incredible hardship to have to wait this long. We want to move out of our dump neighbourhood in North London and can't do a thing until we get the money back. Complete debacle. I hate the Inland Revenue.

I love how they are so quick to steal your money but have no qualms about taking FOREVER to pay it back. Wish they paid interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tarasam
    Tarasam Posts: 508 Forumite
    HMRC do pay interest if its applicable.

You should try being on the opposite end of this, you say its a nightmare, it truly is for the staff!!! Can you only imagine how many people are in your situation if the postal backlog is that bad.

The only advise i can give is to try ringing between 6-8pm or between 8-8.30am you're more likely to get through, thats the least busy time, also a lot of people asume we are closed Saturday when in fact we are open 8-4.

Just wanted to comment that HMRC do not steal your money, there could be many reasons for you being taxed incorrect and generally its down to your previous employer not using your P45 correctly or not understanding how to correctly code your pay from a P46.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure