Which iron is best -ceramic or stainless steel

Options
2»

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Go for Philips ones with the Careeza (ceramic) soleplate.

Very good irons. Much easier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

Previous ones have only stopped working through getting smashed from dropping on the floor!! :rolleyes:

Tefal irons are coated with Teflon (PTFE), which is actually quite a soft material and very prone to scratching, whereas the Philips Careeza coating is a very hard wearing ceramic product.

Tefal teflon (PTFE) coatings ARE rubbish by the way. With pans, once you've used Meyer/Anolon pans you'll wonder why you EVER bought Tefal ones.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Tefal teflon (PTFE) coatings ARE rubbish by the way. With pans, once you've used Meyer/Anolon pans you'll wonder why you EVER bought Tefal ones.

I was thinking of trying Myer pans, do they do a nice large wok?
  • withabix
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I was thinking of trying Myer pans, do they do a nice large wok?

Probably do one in most of their ranges.
  • diddlydi_3
    Options

Very good irons. Much easeier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

Previous ones have only stopped working through getting smashed from dropping on the floor!! :rolleyes:

Tefal irons are coated with Teflon (PTFE), which is actually quite a soft material and very prone to scratching, whereas the Philips Careeza coating is a very hard wearing ceramic product.

Thank you for that info withabix - do you also happen to know which phillips I should go for,for best steam & power,or should I just for the highest in both,for easy ironing?
  • saving-grace
    Options

Very good irons. Much easier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

I'd agree with all that. I had a tefal iron which got scratched easily and the surface became quite rough.
    Now onto my second Philips Careeza (dropped first one) with ceramic soleplate and its great. Feels nice to iron with and the surface has not a mark on it, v hardwearing.
    There are a few to choose from, could you get to a shop to see how they feel in the hand. Mine is a philips Azur 4340 and its quite heavy.
  • diddlydi_3
    Options
    I'd agree with all that. I had a tefal iron which got scratched easily and the surface became quite rough.
    Now onto my second Philips Careeza (dropped first one) with ceramic soleplate and its great. Feels nice to iron with and the surface has not a mark on it, v hardwearing.
    There are a few to choose from, could you get to a shop to see how they feel in the hand. Mine is a philips Azur 4340 and its quite heavy.

Thanks for that -off to lakeside now to lift irons!!
  • withabix
    Options
    Would also recommend a mesh ironing board rather than a solid-top one. The newer steam irons which produce a large amount of steam tend to do a 'hovercraft' impression on solid boards!!
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    I back up what has been said about the philips careeza soleplate, definately the best irons I have used!
  • Homecare_Pro
    Options
    If your Mum has trouble carrying the steam iron to the ironing board, make sure she carries it there empty and then fills it with water from a large measuring cup. She can then plug it in and it will heat up fast.

I don't like ceramic soleplates myself, as the iron is not heavy enough to make crisp creases in wool or heavy canvas or denim pants. You have to press down hard on a ceramic soleplate iron to make good creases.

Hope you find this advice helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport