I have literally no money!

Comments

• slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    You could buy a loaf of bread, a bag of the cheapest pasta, some cans of basic beans, and a few baking potatoes. Then you can have pasta and tomato sauce a few times, beans on toast, beans on jacket potato, quorn sausage sandwich (or sausauge pasta perhaps?). If you have any change, you could also pop into the supermarkets before closing and see if there are any yellow stickered items reduced to a few pence.

As others have said, visit friends and family for dinner, or even pop in for tea and cake if you're too embarassed to invite yourself round for dinner. If you stay long enough they might offer you dinner anyway :).
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • DevonGirl
    DevonGirl Posts: 433 Forumite
    Just an idea, but have you thought of getting instant cash via Cash Converters or pawning any jewellery? Not great solutions, I know, but worth considering as you're desperate. Also, do you have any purchases that you've recently made which you could return? When I was particulalry broke at the start of the year I took a few bits of clothing back to Tescos without receipts and ended up with amost £20 put on a Tesco card to spend in store. Worth scouring your cupboards and wardrobes for this?
    LBM - March 2009, DMP Start - April 2009
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member 297

(Don't forget to click on 'Thanks'! Thanks!)
  • Can you sell something on ebay maybe for a tenner or something

I don't own anything of value (I always joke that if my debts ever do satrt spiralling out of control again I'm not too scared of the bailiffs cos I've got nothing to take!) Plus which, I don't have a computer/internet at home so would be a bit awkward anyway. Shame really...

My bf (who I've only been seeing a month so don't wish to overimpose!) has donated me some eggs and mushrooms that a visitor left behind in his fridge. So I'm going to have a mushroom omelette for tea. I'm definetly going to go for porridge (and nick some sugar from work to sprinkle on it) - I do actually quite like it.

Work lunches are going to be a bit tricky I think... normally I take leftovers, but leftovers from beans on toast doesn't really work.

I'm also going to cover my daily exercise routine (which normally is a class or swimming) by going for a run - which won't cost me anything. My normal exercise routine is pretty intense - which means I tend to eat a lot of food. Which is a pain! I'm also going to be adding six miles of walking five days a week to that by opting to walk to work. I am going to be so thin by next pay day....

Just remembered that I may have a loo roll and shampoo problem though. And I've been on the same razorblade for quite a while which isn't doing my legs much good (thank god it's not summery enough for shorts!)
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2009 at 3:08PM
    Do you have any nectar points or tesco vouchers?

Not best of use, but you can use 500 nectar points = £2.50 in Sainsburys and Teco vouchers are worth their stated amount.

I was in a predicament like this when I first came to the Uk.. went to the supermarket just before closing and bought loads of quiches for 25p each.. just froze them and had half a quiche each day and supplemented it with beans. not hugely appetising but filling. The worst was that I had to catch a bus to work (far too far to walk) when bus tickets were £1. I found out that I could get tickets for 80p if you only went so many stops... well, I know I was a bit sneaky but I paid the 80p but stayed on longer hoping the bus driver wouldn't notice! Got away with it for a week and the one day the driver stopped the bus and came down to me and queried why I had bought a 80p ticket but not gotten off!! Mortified... luckily it was my last day at the at job (temping) and I could walk to my next job.... served me right for being sneaky....

I wish you all the luck and if I thikn of anything I can do I'll let you know...

wish we could all send you £1 via paypal or something...! (if we all had it spare!)
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    For work, try a cheap loaf of bread and a jar of value jam (used to do this myself a few years ago) - a little goes a long way,and it also gives you another toast topping... ;)

If you are going to be doing all that walking toworkot let that take the place of your normal exercise regime until payday? Or at least some of it?

~Jes :)
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • geranium72
    geranium72 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Have you got a Boots card with any advantage points on it so you can get a cheap lunch?

Can you find any coupons in magazines or papers as Tesco will take them in aprt payment for your shopping even if you don't by the items - so even if you can get 10, 20 p off it all helps.

A bag of red lentils or similar with some of your spices could make a dahl which would be filling and cheap
    Back to comping! July wins: Frylight August wins: Pixar DVD, Diesel Watch,£75 hamper brioche products September wins bath soak

Thanks to everyone who posts comps and help :beer:
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    drink quite a lot of water so you wont feel hungry before you decide on what to cook thats free from the tap and put it in the fridge so its cold

the body is 80% water so you can live longer on just water than food.
  • pepe2008
    pepe2008 Posts: 5,158 Forumite
    I wish you luck BiW....but whatever you do DONT get tempted by a Pay Day Loan ( or smilar )...they ruin peeps.

If you are in the countryside...go for a forage. Blackberrys are around and with this warm, wet weather mushrooms are out there too.
    :D:D stay wonky :D:D

....one-way ticket to Portugal booked !
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Just remembered that I may have a loo roll and shampoo problem though. And I've been on the same razorblade for quite a while which isn't doing my legs much good (thank god it's not summery enough for shorts!)

You could splash out 40p on Tesco value toilet roll.. either that or 'acquire' some from work toilets etc ;) Shampoo.. hmm can you get away with using shower gel instead for a couple of weeks (if you've got some)?
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    pepe2008 wrote: »
    If you are in the countryside...go for a forage. Blackberrys are around and with this warm, wet weather mushrooms are out there too.

Good idea - plenty of blackberries around in town where I am too.. and apple trees :D
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport