WARNING ebay and paypal spoof emails

Options

Comments

• eyelinerprincess
    Options
    Yup, I'd say it was a spoof
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    i got one today, about my account needs reactivating.
    very realistic looking but not addressed to me directly by name. just my email name.
    i logged onto paypal by the proper method and sure enough, there was no dispute of any kind.

please remind everyone you know, never to log onto your paypal account thro an email link.
    Get some gorm.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    email_logo.gif Notification of Limited Account AccessDear [EMAIL="ormusxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk"]ormusxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk[/EMAIL],
    As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-464-725-244 In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to follow our verification procedure as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

This is a final reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible.
    We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Sincerely,
    PayPal Account Review Department
    PayPal Email ID PP638
    Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.
    PayPal Email ID PP638

Protect Your Account InfoMake sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https://www.paypal.com/row/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at https://www.paypal.com/row/s ecuritytips
    Protect Your PasswordYou should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

notice how clever the url is, when you hover your mouse over the link.
    Get some gorm.
  • redflash7
    Options
    The safe way is to open a browser and go straight to the website you intended to login by typing the URL.eimgb01.php
    eimgb00.php
    bimg01.php
    eimg01.php
    eimgx01.php
    limg01.php
    nimg01.php
    oimg01.php
    timgt01.php
    aimgs01.php
    timg01.php
    timg00.php

img44_c.jpg
  • judyjetson
    judyjetson Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a very realistic looking one the other day addressing me by my surname, which came to my inbox rather than spam, saying my account had been limited. Even though I was 99.9% certain it was a fake, I checked my account in a separate window and found nothing wrong, so I forwarded it to Paypal who confirmed with about 10 mins it was a fake.

Unfortunately I've deleted it so can't post it here, but it asked for the sort of documentation that Paypal would if your account was limited, but wanted it scanning and emailing.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    I had an extremely clever one today, I would have fallen for it, if it wasn't for the fact my main email account is linked to a posting ID with one fb, and my main ebay account has a seperate email address just for that and Paypal!

spacer.gifinvitation_logo-1.gifinvitationReminder_header_j-1.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifinvitation_headerBTM-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear eBay Member,[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Congratulations! Your recent selling activity entitles you to Bronze status in the eBay PowerSeller Program. Please visit www.ebay.com/powerseller and sign in to activate your free membership to enjoy these great benefits and services:

[/FONT] spacer-8.gifspacer-8.gifbullet_star-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]See the PowerSeller icon next to your User ID psIcon_50x25-1.gif
    [/FONT] bullet_star-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Free seller support via Live Chat, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for all Bronze PowerSellers. If you also meet the annual volume requirement, you are also eligible for phone support. Log in to the PowerSeller portal for the most updated information on your customer support options.
    [/FONT] bullet_star-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Get exclusive offerings on the PowerSeller portal--check back often for updates!
    [/FONT] bullet_star-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network on the exclusive PowerSeller Discussion Board.
    [/FONT] bullet_star-1.gif [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Download free business templates for PowerSeller business cards and letterhead.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be sure to sign up today--it's FREE! Visit www.ebay.com/powerseller and click "Member Sign In."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Again, congratulations and best wishes for your continued success![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,
    eBay PowerSeller Team
    [/FONT]
    spacer.gif [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] eBay sent this communication to you because of your outstanding feedback, high sales, and good account standing. If you would not like to be invited to join the PowerSeller program, follow the directions above, click "Member Sign In", and then click "Decline" at the bottom of the page. Please note that it may take up to 10 days to process your request.

Copyright © 2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
    [/FONT] spacer.gifinvitation_goToPSportal-1.gif[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    forgot to add, roll over the links, looks very convincing, AND came from From: eBay TeamSellers (confirm1@ebaysecure.com)
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • SPARKY16
    SPARKY16 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi cant believe what ive just done looking through emails there was 1 from paypal or so i thought saying my payment for leatherbound books $199 is been processed click on this link if you want to cancel stupidly i did and put paypal password in before it dawned on me you are not supposed to click on it :mad:
    then it asked me for bank details which i didnt give thankfully but ive changed my password and cancelled my bank card is there anything else i should do :confused:
  • mollycookie
    mollycookie Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a couple of fake emails from some pretending to be paypal, very realistic, only difference an extra l on paypal(l) on there email address
  • brunettegirl
    brunettegirl Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had this after recieving emails from what I thought was a geniune interested buyer to say funds would be transferred once i clicked the link.

He did ask for my user ID on paypal in order to pay me...

the first email i recived was -
    Dear XXXX

You have an Instant Payment of £420.00 GBP from John Zafira (johnzafira@yahoo.com)
    Payment Details

Purchased From:XXXXTransaction ID:i_safe.gif5NS50308X5616661C
    Item SiteItem TitleQuantityPriceSubtotalGumtree Hull ad #2 LAPTOP.1£400.00 GBP £400.00 GBP
    Postage & Packing via Standard Delivery :
    (includes any seller packing fees) £20.00 GBP
    Pay pal tax: £5.00 GBP
    Postage Compensation (not offered):--i_safe.gifTotal:£420.00 GBP
    Payment Information:
    We have just recieved payment for Gumtree Hull ad #2: from the John Zafira (johnzafira@yahoo.com)Although payment has been recieved by us, it is currently pending due to the shipping address specified on the Paypal Reciept. We have now verified this shipping address and it is now safe to post the item out to this address in United Kingdom. For protection purposes, we have decided to hold the payment until you have supplied us the shipment reference number for the shipment of the item. This shipment reference number will be verified within 5 minutes, then your account will be credited after we must have confirmed the shipment. Do understand that this security measures are taken to protect the Gumtree community. Contact the Paypal representative who handled this transaction at reference_details@post.com immediately with the shipment reference number so we can credit your account.
    We have notified you of the buyers user account troubles and have promised to restore the account back to its original owner. Gumtree and Paypal have succssfully resolved the issues with the buyers account and have completed investigations and concluded it was the original owner who actually purchased your item off Gumtree The auction listing has now been restored on the Gumtree and Paypal database and the buyer has completed the purchase by authorizing payment accordingly.

You are required to follow our instructions immediately and complete the transaction.
    Note: Do not send the shipment reference number to the buyer until we have confirmed the status of the shipment and credited your Paypal Account.

Delivery Information
    i_safe.gifAddress:i_safe.gif
    John Ben
    65 CasmirRd Hckney
    London E5 9NU
    United Kingdom.
    i_safe.gifAddress Status:i_safe.gifConfirmed i_safe.gif i_safe.gif
    i_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gif

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP307

I did nothing other than check my paypal account which had no pending transactions and then this morning i recieved this....

Dear XXXX

Thank you for using Paypal for your online auctions.

We at Paypal are ensuring that all our customers and auction site are fraud free.
    In our efforts to secure our merchants, We are now recieving payments for items that are to be shipped through our secure server. This is to ensure that the seller and buyer do their responsibility in every transaction we handle.
    We have now recieved and confirmed payment from the buyer of Gumtree Hull ad #23445732: Item .

This payment is currently pending to be credited into your account due to the security measures we have taken. You are now required to ship out the item and send us the shipment reference number for verification of shipment. As soon as we have verified the shipment which normally takes about 5 minutes, your account will be credited with the full payment. This security methods have been taken due to fraudulent sellers on Gumtree , if you click the links below you will see an example of these sellers:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4386952.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4385956.stm

We await the shipment reference number for verification so we can credit your account immediately.

Note that you are advised not to send out the shipment reference number to the buyer until we have verified the shipment and credited your account.

Delivery Information
    i_safe.gifAddress:i_safe.gifJohn Ben
    65 CasmirRd Hckney
    London E5 9NU
    United Kingdom.i_safe.gifAddress Status:i_safe.gifConfirmed i_safe.gif i_safe.gif
    i_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    PayPal Email ID PP307

[/FONT]
    I need to start saving so I plan to save £2 a week to start with:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts