Smart Car parking

Does anyone know if it is legal to park Smart cars sideways, i.e. back-in parking in otherwise parallel parking zones? Do any of you park like this?

I have just bought a Smart car for commuting and used to see many other Smarts parked in this way but lately haven't see any. Is this because it is no longer legal to park this way or is it just because of the problems this causes, such as people parking so close you can't actually open the door to get into the car.:mad:

I have done some searching but can't find much information, not even on the Smart website, and even Smart themselves wouldn't give me a definite answer.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• I thought you just tucked them under your arm and carried them around with you?!
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Commonly seen them parked like it in Europe, but hardly ever in the UK.

Firstly even though they are short, they are not that short (2.5 m) even a wide car like a Mondeo is only 2 m wide, so a fair bit sticks out into the traffic.

Secondly, if there are parking bays, you are not allowed to park two smarts next to each other in one bay (and you would be lucky to find someone who also wanted to park their smart there).

Finally, if parking is so tight that you want to park end in, then you will get the cars either side parking bumper up your door.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can't see why it would be illegal, and I haven't heard anything recently about it becoming illegal. I'd say most drivers just aren't in the habit of doing it.
  • Altarf
    Forumite
    edited 24 September 2009 at 12:07PM
    almillar wrote: »
    Can't see why it would be illegal

Because if you do this in a narrow street, that two cars would otherwise be able to pass, but now can't because of the extra 1/2 metre of Smart car jutting out, you are causing an obstruction.

Also if the parking bay is white lined where the driver/passenger door is, the car needs to be inside it. The minimum width a council is allowed to set is 1.8m, so...
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would argue that on parking bays it is illegal because the wheels of the Smart overhang the bay by quite a margin. And the rear of the car would also have to overhang the pavement.
    The man without a signature.
  • almillar
    Forumite
    Yes, blocking a street is illegal of course in any car, but the OP asked specifically about a sideways Smart.
  • Altarf
    Forumite
    Which since Smarts are about 1/2 meter longer than a normal car is wide, may block the street if you park it sideways.
  • almillar
    Forumite
    Or a really big wide car, or a lorry or van. My point being don't block the road, but there's nothing specific about a sideways Smart
  • Altarf
    Forumite
    OK there is nothing specific about Smart cars parking sideways, just as there is nothing specific about Smart cars parking in the middle of the M1.

I was trying (helpfully I thought) to point out that there are many circumstances when if you did it, it would cause you a problem (legally or practically). And to be honest when it is not likely to cause you a problem, I doubt you would have a need, unless you wanted to show off.
  • Many thanks for your replies.

The photo found by Altarf is exactly what I meant, there is a small space always available just outside the station and I was hoping it had my name on it! The car in the photo does stick out wider than the other cars but I was wondering if it could be classed as causing an obstruction as it is still within the blue lines.

Knowing my luck I bet I would get a ticket if I tried it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure