Drain outside blocked

Hi all,
We have a strange drain for our kitchen, basically the pipe from the kitchen sink ends up outside in a hole with a only a grate and wood board protecting it. The house is quite old. We call it the "hole".

Now the "hole" is now blocked. I am surprised this did not block earlier, you can find all sort of things in the "hole" snails, leaves, kitchen waste etc. I am not sure what kind of people I should call to have this fixed (plumber or drain unblocking company such as dynorod) , or if it's a matter for the water provider?

Am I better off insuring myself against this somehow, and if yes has anyone got any suggestion?

Thanks
mr

Comments

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    The cheapest thing to start with would be to pour a kettle of boiling water down the 'hole' . Often fat from the kitchen sink congeals and blocks things up.

Another free think would be to ram the hosepipe (no end attachments) down the 'hole' see if the water pressure removes the blockage.

Any idea where the holes goes? to a sewer, soak away or septic?

If you know this you could ram the hose from the manhole cover back towards the hole.

All these things are free, before you call the experts.......:smiley:
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    N9eav wrote:
    The cheapest thing to start with would be to pour a kettle of boiling water down the 'hole' . Often fat from the kitchen sink congeals and blocks things up.

Another free think would be to ram the hosepipe (no end attachments) down the 'hole' see if the water pressure removes the blockage.

Any idea where the holes goes? to a sewer, soak away or septic?

If you know this you could ram the hose from the manhole cover back towards the hole.

All these things are free, before you call the experts.......:smiley:
    if this dosen't work try caustic soda .
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Mr_Warren_2 Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bloackage mostly caused by built up of fat etc passed the said "hole". Try to reach inside hol;e and clear all debirs (unpleasant by that might save you money). If this does not work, try to find the main inspection manhole (covered by a large metal plate), mine is between my hole and the end of the yard towards the street. This will allow you to confirm flow or no flow or little flow. Get your hose pipe from that end up towards your hole and flush, push, shove.
    If this does not work, spend £15 for a set of plumbing rods and do the same. It worked for me.This will unblock any small blockage and same you a small fortune.

A very unpleasant job but.......£££££££££
  • Tahiti
    Tahiti Posts: 446 Forumite
    I just had a similar problem which, touch wood, I resolved yesterday.

It's a filthy job, but I cleared as much of the muck as possible, and jetted it with a power washer. Job done - for now.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :wave:

One tip is to attach your hose to the top of a two litre pop bottle and cut a hole in the base. This provides a better fit when it is pushed into the larger 'hole'. Useful on blocked toilets as well.

:eek:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Try to remedy it yourself before calling in someone like dynorod 'cos they charge a small fortune.
  • samcat_2
    samcat_2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I had exactly the same problem

FREE SOLUTION: put on the marigolds, then put your entire arm inside a strong black bin liner, reach down and start unblocking it with your hand, pulling out the gunk slowly. As face is near the drain, scarf round mouth might be needed.

VERY CHEAP SOLUTION: Soda crystals (66p I think from Savers ) down the drain with boiling water

CHEAP SOLUTION: Caustic Soda from homebase or local DIY store ... non brand of course. I can't remember the price ... less than £2 I think

NOT SO CHEAP SOLUTION: drain/chimney sweeping kit £20

EXPENSIVE SOLUTION: Calling someone out... seriously this shouldn't be necessary

LONG TERM SOLUTION: tell the household that fat belongs in the bin, tea leaves in the compost, food stuff belong in the compost or the bin and NOT down the sink. Put a mesh, better drain cover over the drain outside, leaves shouldn't be getting in.

hope some of that helps.

P.s. ... I tried all of the above except paying someone to come out, ..... do you want to know which one was best? The free one
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If your house was built before 1900 then your water board are liable for blocked drains. I found this out a couple of months ago when our drains blocked and I couldn't unblock them no matter what I did. Someone on this site kindly told me all about this strange little loophole.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Our house has the same set up as yours only without the wooden board. When ours got blocked I just pulled all the leaves and dead snails out of the grate while wearing rubber gloves. Then I shoved a broomhandle down the drain. Then I ran the hot top for a few minutes and it was actually draining OK but I tipped some drain cleaner down there for good measure. I had already had the drain cleaner, which was a mix of caustic soda and iron filings bought from the pound shop, left over from when the bath wasn't draining.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    well mr 1974, tried anything yet?
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure