PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

removing paint from clothes?

2»

Comments

• Hi
    My 4 year old daughter came home from school last night with her coat covered and I mean covered! in poster paint!

It's a padded cream coloured coat (I know shouldn't have bought her that in retrospect) I've managed to get out most of it but there are still big splodges of yellow, red and green remaining.

I pre treated it with Ariel stain spray and washed it with added ariel stain powder. Then I made a paste with bicarb of soda and left it over night, it lifted some of it so I washed it again but still not really any better.

I've put more bicarb past this morning and will leave it all day unless there are any other ideas as to what I can do?

Also if I can't is there anyway the school would reimburse the money for the coat? Why they let her paint in it is beyond me! It cost £30 which is a lot of money to me.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Poster paint is supposed to be washable... Maybe check with the teacher what type it is, and if there are any instructions on the container about what to do if it gets on fabrics.

If it is cream coloured, a small amount of bleach might be an option, though not sure if it is ok to use on polyester. Also, you can get specific stain removers in the supermarket which are aimed at certain types of stain. Expensive for the size of bottle you get, but probably worth it to save the coat!

I am fairly sure the school won't be in a position to reimburse you for it. Perhaps you could dye it another colour if the paint won't come out?
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Well it's that runny paint that schools use.
    I thought it would be washable too!

I don't think you can't dye polyester :sad:

I thought it was a long shot re school but thought I'd check on here to see. I will make a complaint though.

I will try bleach as a last resort.

Thanks x

Any other ideas from anyone?
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've merged this with a previous thread asking a similalr question :)

Getting paint off carpets
    may also have some suggestions
    thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Try some nail-varnish remover dabbed onto the stains. I had white gloss paint on a black dress and that helped to get it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure