BCW - What you should know [Insider]

Comments

• darkblue_2
    darkblue_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    kel123 wrote: »
    My Daugghter in law is a debt collector for a major car dealership. And she says that allthough what Darkblue says is based around fact it is all too nicy nicy. In reality it's nothing like that! They have 2 and only 2 objectives

1. get some money
    2. get more money by what ever means

A supervisor is some one sitting next to you. she admits to regularly being one?
    She thinks that this is a PR stunt because the first line says trust me and the last few paragraphs are 'we are a good company we do it by the book'

My experience YES MINE is that because I put obsticals in their path they moved the debt on after 1 (one) phone call !!!!!!

Trust is a state of mind - Fact costs

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here... If you are hinting that I am pulling a PR stunt on behalf of BCW, then I think you misread my posting.

The reason I posted this thread was to let people know how BCW operate and hopefully to help those in a situation where they are trapped.

The fact that I open up the post by saying that I am an ex employee was purely to let readers know that I am speaking from experience, and not just opinion.

I have given general advice to people reading because I know that people with debt with BCW can feel trapped. I am confused as to why anyone can see my posting as anything else.

I do hope that others reading this can see its use.
  • kel123_2
    kel123_2 Posts: 476 Forumite
    Sorry just saying what I think. You might think i'm sad but two sayings come to mind

Never look a gift horse in the mouth

and

Never acept gifts from strangers
    June 2005 = 48K of Debt:cry:
    Sept 2006 Started dmp = 56k of Debt (inc fees and charges) DFD April 2030:eek:
    May 2008 = <5k of Debt (CCA route -48K, paid off 3K) DFD April 2010
    Nov 2008 Lloyds found CCA for 14K loan:mad: New DFD Jan 2016

Happy so far tomorrows another day:confused:
  • thevinternet
    thevinternet Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    kel123 wrote: »
    Sorry just saying what I think. You might think i'm sad but two sayings come to mind

Never look a gift horse in the mouth

and

Never acept gifts from strangers

Er, no offence, but your two phrases mean completely different things. "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" means that you should take the present you are given without questioning its legitimacy.

Also darkblue is criticising BCW, so why would it be a PR stunt exactly?:confused:
  • Hi DarkBlue,
    Thanks for that info. My OH has had two letters from BCW - the first saying there wasa debt to pay etc. We phoned them and found out that the debt was from 2005 - if indeed there is actually a debt - this is the first we've heard of it. we did agree to pay half then after thinking about it we don't believe the debt is actually 'real' we decided to ignore it.
    then we recieved another letter (a month later) saying we would now be visited by a someone ( letter stamped "recieved out of court" )

considering that they have no contact numbers for us - can we just ignore the letter - how long will it be before they decide its not worth pursuing? ( the debt is £11) !!!

any advice gratefully recieved
    thanks
  • Thank you for your posting darkblue. I am just about to enter a DMP and have no idea yet whether creditors will accept my payments or sell the debts on, so it is very useful to know what the DCAs will be after if/when they call me! I admit I can't see anything in your posts that could be interpreted as anything other than wanting to give a bit of insight into how the DCAs work and what tactics they use. I plan to be polite with anyone who calls me and I understand that they are just trying to get their money back, but they can't have what I don't have and I will not be bullied. Your post has given me a little more confidence not to be intimidated by empty or false threats, so many thanks for that. :T
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • thanks darkblue your help has been very encouraging and it is nice to see what actualy happens on the inside. I had the call which offered me settlement for £408 off my o2 phone bill of £1,000 which i am disputing. she gave me 48 hours and will call me back monday. any advice appreciated from anyone thanks. Mark
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    markss wrote: »
    thanks darkblue your help has been very encouraging and it is nice to see what actualy happens on the inside. I had the call which offered me settlement for £408 off my o2 phone bill of £1,000 which i am disputing. she gave me 48 hours and will call me back monday. any advice appreciated from anyone thanks. Mark

If your O2 bill is 'in genuine dispute' then a 'dca' should not be contacting you, or pursuing you for payment, until that 'dispute' is resolved:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Also, be extremely careful of any 'settlement offers' - even if the debt is genuine, you should only accept an offer of a reduced settlement figure once the creditor/dca has confirmed, in writing, that such payment will be accepted as "Full and Final Settlement" of the debt. Accept no other wording:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=24_full_and_final_settlement_offers
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Sorry for bumping an old thread but I need some advice.

I recieved a call from BCW today, I missed the call but the left a voicemail on my mobile, dont know how thay got it.
    What shall i do, Ring them back? or just ignore them?
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    Thanks darkblue,BUT I was told by Payplan that BCW are actually solicitors that act for the Lloyds TSB group and this is the first place our debts from Lloyds ended up

Wrong. BCW are a bog-standard debt collection firm - no more, no less. They're certainly not solicitors.

I never got a call from them,but I called them once and had my payment plan accepted straight away,guess I just got them on a good day then?

I wouldn't recommend calling any DCA. Best to keep it in writing. What they say and what they do are too often two different things.
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    slimjim666 wrote: »
    Ive had the letter and the three calls and all the bully tactics.

I am a full time mature student although trying to get it into their thick heads that students cant afford to pay back the amounts they were asking is like trying to draw blood from a stone. Two of the agents said ' you cant live off fresh air' so i replied 'my wife is supporting me (the debt is from before we got together) and untill someone can call back and speak to me with some respect no offer will be made' i then hung up.

After thinking about the debt i am sure it is an old debt (over 5 or 6 yrs old), i called national debt line and they confirmed what i thought about old debts not being collectable. The rep at national debtline seem to know what BCW are like because she said 'OH THEM' when i said the company name lol. She is now sending me a template letter to send to BCW saying that they have got to prove the debt is within the cut-off point to be lawfully claimed back.

You can get the Statute Barred letter on this site as well. But, send it recorded delivery, and never, ever provide such companies with a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure