Can car fail an MOT if the battery does not have enough power?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Have you got a link please?

:D

Yes right here
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • sinar
    sinar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I think you are right, I "fell for it", I think I was more angry at being lied to, than being conned out of a few quid.

At least I have a new battery now, thats guaranteed for 3 years.

Probably the right thing to do would have been to take it elsewhere, but I just could not do with the hassle/bother (having already prepaid the garage for the service and MOT)

Anyway, just got the car back with its new MOT certificate, it needed 2 new tyres, (they were a couple of years old, so i was not surprised by that).
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    sinar wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I think you are right, I "fell for it", I think I was more angry at being lied to, than being conned out of a few quid.

At least I have a new battery now, thats guaranteed for 3 years.

Probably the right thing to do would have been to take it elsewhere, but I just could not do with the hassle/bother (having already prepaid the garage for the service and MOT)

Anyway, just got the car back with its new MOT certificate, it needed 2 new tyres, (they were a couple of years old, so i was not surprised by that).

Well at least they didn't try it on for new brakes, shocks and exhaust!! ;)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Did you check the posted link/paperwork they gave you to see that it did have a failed test? If not I would have thought you could write and complain - after all, if the car never cut out for you then it seems frankly suspicous it suddenly died during the test!
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sinar wrote: »
    He said when they were testing the electrical systems the car cut out, they checked the battery and it was low (10.8 when it should have been 14, I think, not sure what that means, but he showed me a print out from a computer that he used to check it)

He said as the car cut out he could not continue to test it properly, so the only way to continue with the MOT was to have a new battery.

He used the analogy that a car could come in without much petrol, and it the car ran out of petrol during the test, they would not be able to complete the test, the car could not fail due to no petrol, but it could not pass either.

The tester is allowed to refuse to complete a test, or reject the vehicle from being submitted for testing, if

"The vehicle is not fit to be driven when necessary to complete the test because of a lack of fuel, or oil, or for any other reason."
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure if it's changed now, but we used to check the hazards, sidelights and then turn the engine off with all of them operating. I imagined it was to simulate if you break down? Not 100% if it would fail on this part of the test though.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    pendulum wrote: »
    You've said this before. I've got an 8 year old battery that's still going strong. 5 years isn't that much.

Its Strider590...the same person who claimed you would hear air in brake pipes.

He never learns and just seems hell bent on digging himself a deeper hole.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    A five year old battery is getting old, if it was reading 10.8v it's not in a good state.
    Last winter finished a lot off, I've had to buy 3 batteries for 3 of our cars this summer.
    At least it'll start this winter with a new battery.
    The £20 off isn't too bad either.
    So not too poor a deal for an mot for another year.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Stigy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's changed now, but we used to check the hazards, sidelights and then turn the engine off with all of them operating. I imagined it was to simulate if you break down? Not 100% if it would fail on this part of the test though.

It didn't fail. It was a reason for refusal to complete the test.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    mikey72 wrote: »
    A five year old battery is getting old, if it was reading 10.8v it's not in a good state.
    Last winter finished a lot off, I've had to buy 3 batteries for 3 of our cars this summer.
    At least it'll start this winter with a new battery.
    The £20 off isn't too bad either.
    So not too poor a deal for an mot for another year.

But then a previous car of ours was ten year sold and still had the original battery.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure