Pace Forward?

Hi

I have today received a letter from a company called Pace Forward. It is addressed to my current address, where I have lived for a couple of years, but in a name I haven't used for 17 years!

It's very vague, says they are trying to trace the above named on a personal matter and to call to acknowledge or be removed from their mailing list

I don't think I have any debts in this name although it is possible that it could be an old catalogue or something. I have definately not used the name for 17 years

I know not to call them but should I just ignore them completely? Surely any debt this old would be statute barred anyway? Or are they relying on me not knowing that?

I would be gratful for any advice

Thanks
Shoe Gal
Sometimes it's hard to walk in a single woman's shoes - that's why we need really special ones!
Total debt @ Oct 2008: £29,226.42 Credit Card- £[STRIKE]7493.56[/STRIKE] - £7243.56
Weightloss : 0/34lbs

Comments

• Wol2
    Wol2 Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Shoe Gal

Sounds like fishing that may hope to come up with a bite. Therefore my gut instinct says....send it back with "not known at this address"....but written by someone else ( so no handwriting samples)

However I bow to the expertise on this forum....

Hugs Hun

We both post/lurk (well lurk in my case :D) on numerous "shared" threads......

xxxx
    Flooded 20/07/07 :(.
    Normal service FINALLY RESUMED 31/07/10 :j:j
    " It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." Douglas Adams...."or the FOS" Wol2
    Numptie groupie #2 :cool:
    Mortgage offset drawdown [STRIKE]£60861[/STRIKE]:(.... [STRIKE]£60074[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£59967[/STRIKE] £65k 'ish 1/6/14

• h4ppiness
    h4ppiness Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi Shoe Gal - A tricky one I think - temptation to find out what they want versus possibly opening a can of worms!

My view - don't touch it with a barge pole!! Ignore the letter and get on with your life. Regards
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Send them the following letter

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable.

In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed, otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Print only - do not sign

USE S SMITH as a name, the onus is on THEM to prove the debt.
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • Shoe_Gal
    Shoe_Gal Posts: 7,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    10past6 wrote: »
    Yours faithfully

Print only - do not sign

USE S SMITH as a name, the onus is on THEM to prove the debt.

Thanks for this

Can I just check - does this mean use a 'made up' name, neither the one on the letter or the name I use now?

Thanks SG
    Sometimes it's hard to walk in a single woman's shoes - that's why we need really special ones!
    Total debt @ Oct 2008: £29,226.42 Credit Card- £[STRIKE]7493.56[/STRIKE] - £7243.56
    Weightloss : 0/34lbs
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Shoe_Gal wrote: »
    Can I just check - does this mean use a 'made up' name
    Yes :D

They don't need to know who you are ;)
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • moonlightpjs
    moonlightpjs Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Hi
    I am not on the boards much now but was lurking and could not read and run.

Personally, given the amount of time that your name has been changed and guessing that this letter is not addressed to your current name, I would ignore it.
    The onus is on them to find you and prove you are the person that they are looking for and if, like you say, your name was changed 17 years ago it is very likely to be statue barred (unless there is a debt you have paid something to in the last 6 years, if so send the letter posted by 10past6). If you havent paid towards "a" debt then ignore it or send it back like Wol said - "This person does not live at this address".

Without you informing them of your change of name, it seems to me they are just fishing and they can't do anything unless they can prove it is you - if so they then have to prove you have not admitted liablity of the debt or made any payments to the "alleged debt" within the last 6 years.

It also might be worth getting a copy of your credit report to see if there is anything on there, either an outstanding debt or a search from Pace Forward - that may give you an idea who, if anybody, is chasing you and what debt, if any, it applies to.

Hope this makes sense, let them do all the work, they cannot do anything legally.

HTH X
  • bigbum_2
    bigbum_2 Posts: 866 Forumite
    You've already had some good advice here, but i'd just like to add that my mum received something similar last year. A letter demanding payment for monies owed was sent addressed to her maiden name and to her old address (which is my current address).

I was worried that she might be hounded for a debt and offered to investigate on her behalf, but she's not so easily intimated and promptly binned the letter saying she didn't owe money to anyone and if they thought she did, let them prove it.

We haven't heard a dicky-bird since. Like someone else said, they're probably just fishing.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I certainly wouldn't start using "made up" names and responding with those. Or in your own name for that matter. May open a can of worms uneccessarily at this stage.

As said, this is a "fishing" exercise.

Your best bet is to just ignore this initial letter. You may well hear nothing more.

They don't know where you are really, and you can't say for sure they are actually after you.

Should you receive any more definite correspondence, then we can then deal with it. That may be disputing the debt is yours or telling them it is statute barred etc..........

But for now I would ignore.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    I agree with Fermi I would ignore the letter.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • whiteroom184
    whiteroom184 Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just search for the term "pace forward" on the internet and you will see what comes up!!
    Every day is a school day :T:T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport