dla benefit changes

hello .
any advice would be most helpful on entitlement to dla mobility component which i recieve & the lower rate component.
my question is that i know that due to the stringent changes in the government benefits , i feel that i now no longer meet or match the new rules that they now describe !, eg when i took my last medical the walking distance was about 100 mtrs or more to walk , now its 20 mtrs or less , which i can manage all be it that i have complications , so i feel at this moment in time i would not pass the medical now being given. Also there are a multiple of other NEW questions of what you can do & what you cannot & i feel i would fail them as well My question is , has anyone done the same & informned the dla of a improvement in circmstances?, its not really that i have changed , its just that the goal posts have now been moved by the government.So please i think i know what i am going to do ?, its just that i need some clarification from anyone out there that as experienced the same or cancelled the benefit, its not me thats changed the rules , its the goverment .

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    robotrobo wrote: »
    , i feel that i now no longer meet or match the new rules that they now describe
    This is irrelevant to an existing claim of DLA.

The assessment for PIP only applies to claims for PIP.
    If you are currently of working age, and claiming DLA, at some point you will be informed that you need to claim PIP, and that your DLA will be coming to an end.
    Only at that point do you need to worry about the new descriptors.

DO NOT end an existing claim.
    (Unless you have improved, or no longer need the money)
    If you are over working age, this is vitally important, as you will never be able to claim for the mobility component again.
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hello .
    any advice would be most helpful on entitlement to dla mobility component which i recieve & the lower rate component.
    my question is that i know that due to the stringent changes in the government benefits , i feel that i now no longer meet or match the new rules that they now describe !, eg when i took my last medical the walking distance was about 100 mtrs or more to walk , now its 20 mtrs or less , which i can manage all be it that i have complications , so i feel at this moment in time i would not pass the medical now being given. Also there are a multiple of other NEW questions of what you can do & what you cannot & i feel i would fail them as well My question is , has anyone done the same & informned the dla of a improvement in circmstances?, its not really that i have changed , its just that the goal posts have now been moved by the government.So please i think i know what i am going to do ?, its just that i need some clarification from anyone out there that as experienced the same or cancelled the benefit, its not me thats changed the rules , its the goverment .

When you got your last DLA award was it indefinite or one with an expiry date? If indefinite then you would not get asked to change to PIP at least until Oct 2015 at the earliest and as Roger said if 65 by then you stay on it regardless. If it has an expiry date then they will write to you at the normal time inviting you to apply for PIP, unless once again you are 65. So for now do not worry about it at all. Keep an eye on the latest rulings and any pertinent changes they bring in during the test phase for new claimants in April this year.
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    DO NOT end an existing claim.
    (Unless you have improved, or no longer need the money)
    If you are over working age, this is vitally important, as you will never be able to claim for the mobility component again.[/QUOTE]

im retired roger, 64 & thankyou for your reply, i will take your good advice onboard, like you say i will cross the bridge a bit later when it arises , but i was looking at the new pip & i thought theres no way i will pass a stringent medical of what the new regime is now, i got the mobility with a life time award !, for what its worth now.
    And for what its worth i have more medical conditions now than when i was given the mobility award , & of course i have not divulged any more ailments to dla.
    I was abit worried about being on the benefit when i read up about the new pip medical questionaire/medical that you have to do now , like i say it was 100yds the last medical i had , not 20 mtrs & all the other rigorous questions , i dont think i will be the only one worried , do you ?.
    thanks for the reassurance.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm retired roger, 64 & thankyou for your reply, i will take your good advice onboard, like you say i will cross the bridge a bit later when it arises , but i was looking at the new pip & i thought theres no way i will pass a stringent medical of what the new regime is now, i got the mobility with a life time award !, for what its worth now.
    And for what its worth i have more medical conditions now than when i was given the mobility award , & of course i have not divulged any more ailments to dla.
    I was abit worried about being on the benefit when i read up about the new pip medical questionaire/medical that you have to do now , like i say it was 100yds the last medical i had , not 20 mtrs & all the other rigorous questions , i dont think i will be the only one worried , do you ?.
    thanks for the reassurance.

Most people receiving DLA now won't be affected by the changes until 2015, as I posted on another thread, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=59777185&postcount=18.

Existing DLA claimants

Existing Disability Living Allowance claimants who are aged 16 to 64 on 8 April 2013 or reach age 16 after that date will be affected by the introduction of Personal Independence Payment, even if they have an indefinite or lifetime award of DLA.

We will write to all existing DLA claimants in February and March 2013 with more information about PIP in their usual annual letters that tell them what their new benefit rate will be.

As your 64, these changes might not affect you at all once you reach 65 so you may have nothing to worry about (I think, unless your award is due to end before your 65th birthday or you have a change etc).
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family