The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Oil on Clothes

After the resounding sucess of the burnt pan suggestions, I wonder if I might ask for help with regard to a stain on the front of Tshirt. I think it may be oil as from chinese or curry meal. (Not sure but think this the most likely).
It has gone through the wash several times and stain is still very noticable.... is there anything you can suggest?

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Place brown paper over it and iron with a warmish iron :)

(I said I don't iron!!!) :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Rub washing up liquid into it before you put it in the wash.
  • Addy
    Addy Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Will these methods work if the garment's already been washed though? Just ask as I have a couple of t-shirts that I've splatted, and I'd hate to do something as radical as get the iron out unnecessarily :eek:

A couple of years ago, I bought a Superdrug stain-removing bar. Looks like a bar of soap and it's the best ever stain removing product I ever bought. Gets out chocolate, blood, coffee, ink...everything no problem. It's lasted forever and cost next to nothing.
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Addy wrote:
    Will these methods work if the garment's already been washed though? Just ask as I have a couple of t-shirts that I've splatted, and I'd hate to do something as radical as get the iron out unnecessarily :eek:

:rotfl: now that's something I couldn't actually tell you! ... go on, give it a go, you never know you might find you actually enjoy it :D:p
    ~

• Addy
    Addy Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    :rotfl: now that's something I couldn't actually tell you! ... go on, give it a go, you never know you might find you actually enjoy it :D:p

I can't see it happening....however I might be persuaded :eek:
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Addy wrote:
    I can't see it happening....however I might be persuaded :eek:
    :dance: WOOO HOOOO GO GIRL!!! :dance:

menironing3mz.jpg
    ~

• KittyKate
    KittyKate Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    I managed to spill baby oil over my partner's long-sleeved green cotton top and after a spell in the washing machine, it still looks noticably marked. Obviously I should have come here first :p I've seen a few posts in the 'zillion' thread on putting flour on the stain, but it's too late for that since it's been washed. Would anyone reccomend dabbing it with washing up liquid to bread down the fat - does this work with baby oil? Thankyou for your help, it's his favourite top!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing - there are one or two entries listed under clothes that should help you :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • bonvonnie
    bonvonnie Posts: 536 Forumite
    i'm not too sure about baby oil, but I have added fairy washing up liquid in my wash (any amount in the drawer, along with the powder) and covered the stain in Fairy, for vegetable oil. Might need a couple of washes tho.
  • Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have any tips for removing oil from clothes?
    Don't know what to do, just wash it and hope for the best, or cold rinse or anything etc first!
    All help appreciated!
    TIA!

Sunshine :)
    I was ere, ere I was
    Was I ere, yes I was :D

:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

Decided to join you all again, I was last here regularly in 2007 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing