need desperate help for dental

Options
2»

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The £204 band is for a treatment involving lab work -crowns or dentures.

To get out of pain, you will only need Band 2 work. Examination, extractions and fillings. This is the £47 (odd) band. It might be that you have a £17 initial 'emergency' band followed by the £47 Band 2 charge.

I think you're just looking at the 'big' picture of needing a denture in the end to replace the missing teeth. But that isn't what you need to just get out of pain.

Get in and get out of pain first.

Then save up and get things looking a bit better later on when you're in a better financial position.

THEN - make sure you stay on top of things by getting your diet and tooth cleaning sorted out, and going regularly to the dentist rather than waiting for the next disaster to strike.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • xfive71
    xfive71 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Check whether there is any dental school near you. They can offer free treatments done by their students who are supervised. A quick google can probably point you the right way. Please check out whether you are eligible for free treatment first.
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ to help you find a dentist in your area.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx lists the correct upto date charges.

There are always options - We used Emergency dentist in Cambridge when my OH was in severe pain. 2 fillings and tooth taken out there and then including an x ray all for what was at the time £17 - now £17.50. They saw us within 2 days. We now have a new dentist and have been there well over 2 years now. Very happy with them too.
  • wayne0
    wayne0 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    i used to work in the "landscaping" field...

i actually never signed off for the two years i was working... my wages were averaged across the fortnight, and rarely ever went above the benefits...

some weeks they (DWP) paid me nothing, but it meant that i knew i was working and doing what i could to earn a living...

i still had the same conditions of being unemployed...

get to the job centre and sign on...

you can even sign off when your given a job, then sign on when you end the job, 3 days wait between the claims goin live (or a rapid reclaim within 8 weeks i believe doesnt have the wait of 3 days)

just remember to keep your council informed for housing benefits if applicable, as otherwise you may have weeks of unpaid rent if you dont notify them of your income etc...

i believe that: if you sign on today, go to dentist tomorrow, and pay the fee as an nhs patient, then you can reclaim it if you get awarded benefits... (as in, your claim is today) but for the sake of pain, i'd foot the bill and just take it as a bonus if it relives the pain.
  • Syntax101
    Options
    Hi all, wanted to update this :

Thank you everyone for the advice! I'm now signed onto JSA & have been to the dentist, he did alot of pain relief work & im going in on Jan 9th for the surgery i need ( im on antibiotics at the moment ).

For the first time in ages i feel like a normal human being & im not constantly in agonising pain,

You guys have given me back my quality of life & i feel great, thank you all so much, words alone cant express how deeply grateful i am, I wasn't aware of any entitlement to help me.
  • DuckEggGingham
    Options
    Syntax101 wrote: »

Thank you everyone for the advice! I'm now signed onto JSA & have been to the dentist, he did alot of pain relief work & im going in on Jan 9th for the surgery i need ( im on antibiotics at the moment ).

For the first time in ages i feel like a normal human being & im not constantly in agonising pain,

You guys have given me back my quality of life & i feel great, thank you all so much, words alone cant express how deeply grateful i am, I wasn't aware of any entitlement to help me.

That is a lovely update! All the best with everything in the future :)
    Save 8k in 2013: Member #100
    £450 / £8000
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Syntax101 wrote: »

I'm very pleased to hear you are now getting the treatment you deserve. It's a disgrace that you suffered in pain for so long in a so called civilised country!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure