Halifax ISA Investor - Help with withdrawal.

Hi all,

When I was 18 (and naive) I opened an ISA. 5 years on and I had a decent amount (around £7k) saved up.

As I was (and am) in my final year of University and money was tight I decided I needed to access some of the funds.

So I withdrew £650 from the ISA account. Since then I've received a regulation statement informing me that my account balance had dropped by circa £1,300.

Basically, I didn't realise that I'd lose money by withdrawing from the ISA as opposed to closing it. Is there any way I can regain that money, or is it gone forever and I've learnt a very expensive lesson?

Thanks.

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What sort of ISA was this? Cash or Stocks & Shares
    If cash, was it a fixed term ISA?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lob_Marley wrote: »
    When I was 18 (and naive) I opened an ISA. 5 years on and I had a decent amount (around £7k) saved up. . . So I withdrew £650 from the ISA account. Since then I've received a regulation statement informing me that my account balance had dropped by circa £1,300.

Basically, I didn't realise that I'd lose money by withdrawing from the ISA as opposed to closing it. Is there any way I can regain that money, or is it gone forever and I've learnt a very expensive lesson?
    The statement should explain where the money has gone. What transactions were on your statement?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you must be mis reading it, it you only took £650 out, the balance would only drop by £650. Assuming it was a cash ISA.

Did you take it out twice ie 650 x 2 = £1300
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Consumerist
    edited 10 May 2012 at 3:44PM
    I see that Halifax ISA Investor is a Stocks & Shares ISA. The shortfall may simply be a result of changing share values and investment charges. If that's the case, there is little you can do to recover your loss in the short term. Over the longer-term the valuation of your investments in the ISA might improve.

Might be safer to stick with Cash ISAs.

Edit

From <Halifax web site> :-
    What is an ISA Investor?
    This is a stocks and shares ISA through which you can invest in the shares of one or more funds of Open Ended Investment Companies (OEICs). It is no longer available to open, however existing customers can still top up their existing ISA Investor. Please remember the value of your investment can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invested. For more information please read the Key Features document for growth or income (PDF New Window).
  • Lob_Marley
    Lob_Marley Posts: 30 Forumite
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Has it basically lost value because of the stock prices falling then? As opposed to a penalty for me withdrawing it?

I just want piece of mind to know whether it could have been avoided or not.

I also would like to access more funds from the ISA, and want to know whether I'd be better closing it or withdrawing the money I need.
  • Consumerist
    Lob_Marley wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Has it basically lost value because of the stock prices falling then? As opposed to a penalty for me withdrawing it?
    Unfortunately, you seem to have bought in at the top of the market. At the time it was probably regarded as a better long-term bet than a savings account. So nothing to do with your withdrawal.
    I also would like to access more funds from the ISA, and want to know whether I'd be better closing it or withdrawing the money I need.
    You can withdraw funds at any time providing you leave at least £20 in the account, if I understand the Halifax web page.

Whether or not you close the account is really a matter of whether you are looking short- or long-term. Historically, the Stock Market has outperformed savings accounts over the long term but if you are likely to need access to more money in the next few years then closure may be your better option.

If you haven't used all this year's ISA allowance you might want to think about putting up to £5,640 of the proceeds into a cash ISA.
  • Lob_Marley
    Lob_Marley Posts: 30 Forumite
    Yeah, I haven't put any money in since I've been at Uni (last 2.5 years). So I'm thinking of moving it elsewhere.

I see the Santander, 3.3% AER ISA, that looks the best bet I think.

So closing it, keeping the money I need and then putting the rest in the Santander ISA is what I think the best bet is?

I will hopefully be putting money back in come September when I've got a post-grad job!

Thanks for your help, by the way.
  • Consumerist
    edited 10 May 2012 at 6:18PM
    You're welcome. Good luck.
    For the record there is a post_thanks.gif button under posts which you can use if you think it has been helpful.
  • Newbie2saving
    Newbie2saving Posts: 867 Forumite
    I didn't think you could convert a S&S ISA to cash ISA, but you can do it the other way round. Think once you are in that sector you have to stay, although you can change providers / funds / shares / stocks etc.
  • Consumerist
    edited 10 May 2012 at 6:21PM
    I didn't think you could convert a S&S ISA to cash ISA, but you can do it the other way round. Think once you are in that sector you have to stay, although you can change providers / funds / shares / stocks etc.
    Qiute right. You have to close or withdraw from an S&S ISA to transfer the funds to a cash ISA; losing the original tax-free wrapper along the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure