Ridiculous Tesco offers!!

I was highly amused but pleased at TWO Tesco 'offers'!!

1) They had an offers display with Cathedral City mature cheese at 350gm for £4.50 (£1.50/100gm). That sounded rather high and looking at the regular cheese display immedaitely next to it I was proved right! There they offered 550gm of the identical cheese for only £3.00!! (£0.54/100gm) THREE times cheaper!!

2) Nearby they were selling a 'Special offer' of a twin-pack of McVities Chocolate Digestives for the magnificent price of £2.69! Right next to it they were selling the SINGLE packs at £1 EACH!! Amazingly people were taking the twin-packs! Wow!

I wonder what mathematician does their pricing schedules?

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tesco do this all the time, and people still don't check what they are buying . A couple of weeks ago it was Tea bags .
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I always avoid any offers in special offer bins. Its nothing to do with pricing schedules its to do with making back the money they need to run an expensive loyalty scheme, offer money off fuel etc.

Morrisons are the same. They put 'special offer' fridges with items such as butter in as far away from the butter as they can, so you pick one up and then go nowhere near the butter aisle so don't realise how much the item is.
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I always check before I pick anything up as this often happens. I think they rely on people being mithered by their kids or in a rush.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • Happens in all supermarkets.
    People shop blind... And supermarkets profit.
    It really isn't that hard to double check prices on the shelves..

Like for example I saw a guy pick up a 9 pack of flakes for £3.09 in Sainsburys.

The 4 pack is £1 in Sainsburys... I would have said something but the guy was quick.. Blind shopping at its worst!!

Sainsburys also switch offers between their own 9pk & 18pk brand toilet roll quite often.

3 weeks the 9pk is £3 from £3.50
    While the 18pk is £6.68 ish. Obvious which one to buy!

Next 3 weeks the 18pk is down to £6
    While the 9pk is back up to £3.50ish...

And yes they catch people out.
    And always will. It's a supermarket, not a charity :p
  • Tx for the comments.
    As you say it happens everywhere and as 'miffed wrinkly' I was pleased to see that having given the Tesco store manager a 'hard' time he made sure that BOTH cheeses were clearly displayed next to each other and (to my surprise) the 'special offer' choccie biccies have been removed!
    Maybe it pays to give their tail a tweak about 'responsible and helpful pricing? Or maybe not.... :=(
  • Mxty
    Mxty Posts: 102 Forumite
    Quite comical however its probably just a mistake on their part rather than a marketing ploy, who knows?
  • Remember that it isn't the supermarket that produces food in different sizes and packages it. Unless things have changed since I was a Nestle rep years ago, food companies negotiate with a discount so that their product gets a bigger display (advertising/brand change incentive etc) and may also do so to reduce their stock (in a certain pack size perhaps).
    In turn a supermarket may have high stocks centrally of particular items (large quantities previously bought in for a discount) and arrange a promotion to shift it. All this would account for what might seem silly price differences between sizes.
    Just do the maths and shop with common sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure