Yes Car Credit / Direct Auto Finance PPI reclaim...

hads78
hads78 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi All,

OK, I saw Martin on TV one morning recently and one phrase caught my attention immediately... Have you been mis-sold PPI?

I have been scouring these boards and it is becoming increasingly obvious that Yes Car Credit, whether part of Direct Auto Finance or selling on their behalf, have grossly mis-sold both PPI and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance.

I know some will immediately come back with, did they hold a gun to your head? and the answer to that is yes they might as well have!

I was in some financial difficulty at the time and they agreed to finance my car from them... a car which I had to have due to my long journey to work as a teacher everyday out in a village that did not have much of a bus service to speak of let alone a train... no car would have meant a lost career as a teacher which to me was unacceptable...

So... knowing I needed a car and that I would (and had) struggle(d) for finance elsewhere I was informed in no less explicit words that I HAD to take their PPI and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance or they would not give me the finance that they had already agreed to.

I am now realising I am not alone in the way that this was sold to me and am looking to create a list of names, at least, that can be compiled and sent to the OFT/FSA to instigate a formal investigation of the way that these were sold.

I would also be interested in anyone, like me, who has initiated the PPI claim back procedure with Direct Auto Finance...

I also realise that this was not technically sold by Direct Auto Finance, however as I now understand it Direct Auto Finance had a legal responsibility to ensure that this was not being mis-sold, if in fact they were not just the same company anyhow!

If at all possible advice on this matter from Martin or his colleagues would be exceptionally appreciated as well...

Thanks

Hadley

Comments

• qob
    qob Posts: 34 Forumite
    ok ive just received my second reply from direct auto finance and its just as snotty as the first. I would be more than happy to join your list ive a huge grudge against them. Take a look at the bit ive made bold at the bottom, is it true that the ombusman cant do anything ?? this is what their reply said:

We have set out our position in this matter and have responded to your previous correspondence.

However to clarify the following points raised we would again, confirm as follows:-
    1. you have provided no particulars of the conversations, which are alleged to have taken place.
    2. you have only raised these issues several years later.
    3. you signed documentation stating that the insurance products were optional.

Your position is not supported by evidence. we have no reason to believe that our standard procedures were not followed at the time the agreement was entered into. our position is borne out by the documents signed by you.

It remains your perogative to take whatever action you feel necessary, if you still feel pursuit of a 'claim' is warrented. we have responded to your correspondence and will now close your file. however, please note that this agreement with our company started on 15th october 2003 and therefore, occured before we were FSA authorised. it is our understanding that this therefore falls outside the jurisdiction of the financial ombudsman service.
    Debt Free Birthday: 25th September 2010 :beer:
  • hads78
    Glad you replied thanks. You're not alone by the looks of things. I too have had the exact same reply from DAF, i think I replied to one of your posts where you put a copy of the letter above.

Also from what research I have done I have found 6 or 7 more people not using MSE forums that have had the exact same letter.

Martin is right when he says that they will almost certainly say no, and it looks like this is their fob-off no letter.

I think the next step will be find out who regulated YCC and DAF when we had our loans with them.

Mine was in july-ish 2003.

Rest assured I am not going to let this drop either as I am also hugely annoyed by the way I was sold this PPI. I even knew it was something I didn't want/need/maybe not even elligible for at the time, but I was told I had to have it!

Anyway, lets get this thread going with our YCC/DAF PPI experiences, since I think they going to 'play hardball' on this.
  • hads78
    I FOUND IT!!

Excuse the cross-post, but this is from the consumer action group so I guess it is ok...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/ppi/13536-payment-protection-insurance.html

I strongly recommend anyone dealing with Yes Car Credit / Direct Auto Finance to read this!

Hadley
  • nickismee
    nickismee Posts: 117 Forumite
    hey.. quick question..

i had a car with ycc, paid off in full in 2003.. i have thrown out all the letters from ycc and i have no agreement number... i know they have gone in to liquidation, so how could i find out my agreement number???
  • hads78
    nickismee wrote: »
    hey.. quick question..

i had a car with ycc, paid off in full in 2003.. i have thrown out all the letters from ycc and i have no agreement number... i know they have gone in to liquidation, so how could i find out my agreement number???

I think you can get this off them if you know your address at the time you settled your account and your registration number of the vehicle will probably help too.

Failing that this information ought to be enough to get your info under the data protection act, which will include your original credit agreement, and of course agreement number. And may produce some other rather 'interesting' bits of information about you, probably made up.

Payment Centre:0870 241 0148
    Customer Services:0870 240 0596
    Head Office:
    Direct Auto Financial Services Ltd
    Springfield House
    Springfield Road
    Horsham, West Sussex
    (tel) 01403 246300
    (fax) 01403 266814

Yes Car Credit was just the trading name of a company wholely owned by parent company Povident Financial, called Direct Auto Finance, who were the underwriters of your loan.

The Webpage

http://www.yescarcredit.net/

provides a lot of info about the various companies. And whilst YCC no longer exists, DAF does and is currently still trying to collect from debtors. Someone may have to clarify but, as Provident are a parent company, they are separate and will not be responsible. However as YCC was simply a trading name of DAF; YCC is DAF and therefore are completely responsible for any grievances people have and will be the ones you need to contact.

Hope all this helps :)
  • Hi Everyone :kiss:

This is my first post on here...

This is the letter I recieved from DLC..

We have set out our position in this matter and have responded to your previous correspondence.

However to clarify the following points raised we would again, confirm as follows:-
    1. you have provided no particulars of the conversations, which are alleged to have taken place.

Your position is not supported by evidence. we have no reason to believe that our standard procedures were not followed at the time the agreement was entered into. our position is borne out by the documents signed by you.

It remains your perogative to take whatever action you feel necessary, if you still feel pursuit of a 'claim' is warrented. we have responded to your correspondence and will now close your file. however, please note that this agreement with our company started on 31st August 2004 and therefore, occured before we were FSA authorised. it is our understanding that this therefore falls outside the jurisdiction of the financial ombudsman service

I am basically trying to find a suitable template/answers to a reply we recieved from DLC(Daf/Yes car) in which I recieved yesterday,I would like to answer the letter point by point,(after sending off a request letter for Mis-Sold PPI)and its the same standard fob off letter as above which most people have recieved from DLC...

I also gotta a phone call from a rep/caller from DLC,asking if we would be willing to accept a discount with regards to the outstanding amount left on the agreement.(Not flipping likely!!:rolleyes: ) The whole agreement was for 8,200. The total we paid on it was 1,676 and they are still asking for 5,656 . Total for car itself was 3,900 before Finance charges and Admin Fee,total 5,526. Total Insurance premium was 2,037 (without interest) with interest 2,674(which included PPI,Mechanical Breakdown and Gap.

We are not interested in their deals, all we are asking for is our Mis-Sold PPI back,and we asked for this in our first letter.

Can someone please advise where to go from here?

Flower :kiss:
  • Ms-Pacman
    Ms-Pacman Posts: 508 Forumite
    did any progress happen with any of your claims. I am in the middle of this- have sent a letter to Direct Auto Finance and Direct Legal Collections who are chasing for the amount in my case.

I have basically told them I will be going small claims option as I have proof that the amount that Direct Auto Finance paid the brokers for the PPI is about £3,500 less than what I was charged.
    Interesting what comes out when you start digging.
  • rosemahairy
    rosemahairy Posts: 199 Forumite
    Hi Everyone :kiss:

It remains your perogative to take whatever action you feel necessary, if you still feel pursuit of a 'claim' is warrented. we have responded to your correspondence and will now close your file. however, please note that this agreement with our company started on 31st August 2004 and therefore, occured before we were FSA authorised. it is our understanding that this therefore falls outside the jurisdiction of the financial ombudsman service

I am basically trying to find a suitable template/answers to a reply we recieved from DLC(Daf/Yes car) in which I recieved yesterday,I would like to answer the letter point by point,(after sending off a request letter for Mis-Sold PPI)and its the same standard fob off letter as above which most people have recieved from DLC...

I also gotta a phone call from a rep/caller from DLC,asking if we would be willing to accept a discount with regards to the outstanding amount left on the agreement.(Not flipping likely!!:rolleyes: ) The whole agreement was for 8,200. The total we paid on it was 1,676 and they are still asking for 5,656 . Total for car itself was 3,900 before Finance charges and Admin Fee,total 5,526. Total Insurance premium was 2,037 (without interest) with interest 2,674(which included PPI,Mechanical Breakdown and Gap.

We are not interested in their deals, all we are asking for is our Mis-Sold PPI back,and we asked for this in our first letter.

THAT LETTER IS IDENTICAL TO WJHAT THEY SENT ME WHEN I ASKED FOR MENY BACK EXACTLY THE SAME POINTS, MUST BE BOG STANDARD RESPONSE
    MY Successes = RBS PPI, RBS bank charges, Aqua PPI, Aqua cc charges, HFC PPI, Welcome Finance PPI, Blackhorse PPI Mums Ongoing= Swift Advances PPI, London Scottish PPI, Blackhorse chgs, GE money pyts missing
    :rotfl:Im Feeling fine Debt free 2009!
  • rosemahairy
    rosemahairy Posts: 199 Forumite
    Hi Everyone :kiss:

THAT LETTER IS IDENTICAL TO WHAT THEY SENT ME WHEN I ASKED FOR MONEY BACK EXACTLY THE SAME POINTS, MUST BE BOG STANDARD RESPONSE
    MY Successes = RBS PPI, RBS bank charges, Aqua PPI, Aqua cc charges, HFC PPI, Welcome Finance PPI, Blackhorse PPI Mums Ongoing= Swift Advances PPI, London Scottish PPI, Blackhorse chgs, GE money pyts missing
    :rotfl:Im Feeling fine Debt free 2009!
  • Ms-Pacman
    Ms-Pacman Posts: 508 Forumite
    yes but that letter doesn't answer why they paid minimum anount to the underwriters and then charged several thousand pounds plus interest on top to the customer. Ok they can charge what they like but somehow this is a bit excessive. A lot of unanswered questions that DAF do not like to answer.

lets see what happens with a small claims court case with NO stupid confidential clause settlement that has been suggested has happened with this company. would love proof of this though but who is brave enough to do so?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure