Fair day rate for a plumber

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    I'm of the view that any threads not seeing a new post after a period of (say) 6 months be locked but left available for archival reference.

What say you mods?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99 wrote: »
    Why, oh why, oh why have you responded to a Post that is over 2 years old? Have you nothing better to do than trawl through MSE looking for old posts that you can pointlessly comment on?

Because, as you might have noticed (if you read aand understood my post) the topic is of interest to me and, in my opinion, is likely to be relevant to others at this time of year, when there's often the greatest motivation to get a boiler replaced, which involves the use of a plumber.
    As this is a forum that's open to everyone and the topic (discussion thread) is 'live' and no rule has been broken, it seems to me that it's you that has a 'problem' with choosing where, when and what to post.
    Maybe you could/should consider 'Forum Etiquette'....
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=3477038

i.e. Your post does not contribute to the subject of the discussion and is apparently no more than a personal attack.
    Why, oh why have you spent the time doing that when instead you could have simply ignored it? (rhetorical). Oh, the irony! :wink:
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I pay my plumbers £27 an hour, but they get a fully expensed company van, so I would say £45 an hour is reasonable as this is what I charge the customer after the £90 initial callout for the first hour.
  • UKoap
    UKoap Posts: 63 Forumite
    FWIW.. Lothian Health Board pay on call locum doctors £45 per hour. Perhaps they should all requalify as Plumbers? :rotfl:
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The plumber we use charges £40 ph and thats mates rates :eek: but he does a good job and cleans up after himself..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • The only plumbers who earn £100k a year work 80 hours a week and are based in London where a basic first hour call out charge is over £100! Regional plumbing and heating engineers are now getting sqeezed as they can't even mark up materials and appliances becase prices are so readily available online to customers and they can't even charge petrol to go to the merchants to pick materials up. So most plumbers are reduced to charging for their labour, but an hourly rate has to cover their own wages, their own van, fuel, a van full of tools and plant, annual fees to GasSafe, insurance and a cost of about £3k every 3 years to renew their training. So if you are on PAYE and your employer provides everything for you, and you don;t have to risk your house if something goes wrong, and yet you still want to put your local plumebr through the ringer for charging £20ph, remember exactly what s/he is having to pay for out of their own pocket. And let's not forget that if you have a plumber (or more specifically a qualified heating engineer) it IS a skilled profession which carries an enormous amount of risk.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    £120 per day is what we charge
    But normally work on price.
    The days of charging £250 /£400 a day are long gone in Leeds.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Tom_Jones wrote: »
    I pay my plumbers £27 an hour, but they get a fully expensed company van, so I would say £45 an hour is reasonable as this is what I charge the customer after the £90 initial callout for the first hour.

Do you have any jobs:rotfl:
  • tanith wrote: »
    The plumber we use charges £40 ph and thats mates rates :eek: but he does a good job and cleans up after himself..

for £40 ph i will buy the coffee and make my own:rotfl:
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Is there a point to bumping this thread?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure