Juddering in 1st and 2nd gear? Any ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• tony8_2
    tony8_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest you take a look at the Lexus RX Hybrid range. Cheaper tax, no congestion charges I believe, you just need to plug it in at night.

As to cost of leasing , I'm afraid I have no idea.
  • joey_2
    joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Well cars been checked at two different garages had two different opinions.

One said it was the clutch or the gearbox, he also said the clutch is slipping and he said it's definitely not mis-firing.

Second garage said the clutch and gearbox are absolutely fine! Said it is mis-firing at low revs and will need a code read to assess the cause. He also said it needs a new engine mount as it's gone , he did show me under the bonnet that the engine was jumping up where mount gone.

So....we're getting a new mount fitted on Monday and also getting a service done as hasn't been done since 05 and as they both said could be somethng as simple as the spark plugs as the service includes them thought might as well do that.

Do you think it could just be the engine mount causing it???
  • northern_munky
    Options
    Yes, engine mounts can cause the judder you have, you can check the car for a slipping clutch yourself by putting the handbrake on fully, start engine, put car in 4th gear, then let clutch out and press accelerator (as if trying to drive) if the car stalls then you should be OK, if the car carries on running then it's slipping (don't run it for too long like this though).

If it hasn't been serviced for 2 years now, then it really does it need so I wouldn't skimp on this.
  • waster_2
    waster_2 Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    With regards to tony8 comment re coils and working on 2 cylinders I cannot see how this would only impact 1st and/or 2nd gears. It would occur right across the gear and rev range if the coil was faulty. It may not be as noticable higher up the rev range, but would certainly result in low or very reduced power output. Same with with a dodgy plug(s).

In my view it is more than likely to be the clutch and/or engine mount(s). Juddering when pulling away in 1st and/or 2nd gear is often caused by a dodgy thrust bearing in the clutch assembly. Unfortunatlely you can only get at this by stripping the clutch down, in which case it is false economy not to replace the lot (i.e thrust/friction plate, cover assembly and thrust bearing). You should also check there are no oil leaks coming from the oil seals as that will just cause any contamination to re-occur immediately.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted.
  • FrugalJo
    FrugalJo Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joey
    Your problem is identical to my juddering 2000 scenic alize last month. Was just after the dodgy petrol story and I thought I'd been caught with that.
    However a bit of research on the parkers advice forum and renaultforums confirmed it was the coils. I was advised to change all four at the same time, Renault wanted over £200 to replace and fit. I managed to get four coils for £50 from a well known online auction site and did it myself, I am far from mechanically minded. Running like a dream now.
    Window regulator just gone now - another common fault I'm told..
    Still love the car though.
    The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. - Chinese Proverb
    Jo
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    What can cause the juddering...

1) Worn mounts.
    2) Misfire at low engine speeds
    3) Broken springs on clutch friction plate.
    4) Oil leaking from rear crankshaft seal onto clutch.
  • joey_2
    joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice. :beer:
    It seems to be fixed (touch wood).
    Had the full service that included new sparks, new fuel filter I think and had the engine mount replaced but that didn't help so then had the "ht leads" replaced and it seems to have worked. £220 later!!!:eek:
    But still, as was said it really did need a service and the engine mount was completely knackered so no money was wasted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure