PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rubber backing from bath mat stuck on floor

I had a rubber backed bath mat on a vinyl floor in the bathroom. The backing has come off badly on the floor & I need to remove it. I'm currently scraping it with a credit card (old one :p), but it's going to be a very long job and it isn't removing all the stickiness.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Now proud Mumto3 :j

Comments

• Magic Eraser? They claim to get rubber marks off.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    Magic Eraser? They claim to get rubber marks off.

Thanks, I had some of those in the cupboard. Have just tried them and no good at all, unfortunately.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
  • How about wd40? Spray liberally over the rubber on the floor, leave for a while then try cleaning it off
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Mumto2 wrote: »
    Thanks, I had some of those in the cupboard. Have just tried them and no good at all, unfortunately.

Well they're JML novelty gizmos so it's probably expecting too much to think they'll work - have yet to find something of theirs that lives up to the advertising!:rolleyes:

Try eucalyptus oil. It gets tar out of carpet (newly surfaced road + careless hubby = AAARGHHH!!!) so it might do the trick. Smells nice too!
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would scrub it with a stainless steel scourer.

A word of caution though ......... any of the ideas you try, do a patch test somewhere it won't notice, just in case!
  • I have the same problem, but laziley have just left it. Gradually over time, the adhesive in the rubber has dried out and it has flaked off.

Presumably magic erasers are for rubber marks, not pieces of rubber? Great idea for the black marks on my newly sanded wooden floor though where my heels have scuffed marks!!!!
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Actiongirl wrote: »
    I have the same problem, but laziley have just left it. Gradually over time, the adhesive in the rubber has dried out and it has flaked off.

Presumably magic erasers are for rubber marks, not pieces of rubber? Great idea for the black marks on my newly sanded wooden floor though where my heels have scuffed marks!!!!

Just don't try them on painted walls. In my excitement at rediscovering them I attacked a patch on the walls where a suitcase had been dragged down the stairs. Have now removed most of the paint :o. Think I will put them back in the corner of the cupboard where they were...
  • I would use wd40 it is the best for getting rubber or anything sticky off.
    I think I saw Kim and Aggie use Mayonnaise once for getting sticky labels off.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I imagine anything oily would help to soften it.
  • Ikea round mat? We had a couple of those and the same problem! Hubby scraped the bits off with a razor blade, he gave up on the little bits and they did come off on their own over time.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills