What is there to do and see in and about Glasgow?

Comments

• Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Just to say foodwise you can't beat Stravaigin' (Woodlands) for delicious meals in a lively atmosphere with a Scottish twist. Fab place. And if you like architecture take a wander round the University because it's breathtakingly gothic, a really romantic setting.
  • mclaren_2
    mclaren_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Edinburgh is nextdoor aswell, really nice place 2. depends iif your going for more than 1 day as if you were i would say go to Edinburgh n oine of your trips. Also, loch lomand = and you have to go to the best football stadium, Ibrox :D but yeh i agree about driving in glasgow - its not good, as it is stop and start. use the bus / feet to get about the city but you will enjoy it no matter what ;)
    Never do things tomorow when you can do them today.
  • Mrs_J_3
    Mrs_J_3 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Glasgow is a fab place to eat. I can thouroughly recomned Stravaigan and Stravaigan II, but Glasgow has hundreds of restaurants catering for every taste. Esca in the Trongate does some fabulous Italian stuff in cosy surroundings, a good romantic meal can be had and it doesn't have to be too expensive either. Someone has already suggested 5pm.co.uk and thats a great palce to start as you can view menus and prebook special offers and stuff. I use it loads.

As for stuff to do, Glasgow has loads of parks. Come to Kelvingrove park and play tennis or lawn bowls (it's free), watch the skaters, wander over to the Kelvingrove art gallery (it doesn't open unitl 11th july but it's one of the most stunning buildings in Glasgow), wander up to Byres road (the Bohemian part of town), make your way up to the Botanic Gardens and catch a play in Bard in the Botanics seaso, or just wander some of the lovely posh houses.

All Glasgow museums are free and only close on a Monday, and they are pretty well stocked. I love the Gallery of Modern Art, but the Burrell Collection has a truly eclectic mix and is set in acres of parkland (Pollock House is also in the same Park and the Rennie Macintosh House for an Art Lover is in the adjacent park).

If you want to get out and about Loch Lomand is about 30-40 minutes away. You can walk, go for a cruise on the loch, kayak, climb Ben Lomond (allow at leat 5 hours for this, but the views are spectacular up there and it's a busy munroe so loads of people to meet!).

I have to say I love my home city and think it's a shame that most people bypass it in favour of Edinburgh, we've got tons to offer and over 600 pubs!. Whatever you decide to do have a fab time.
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get on the Mack TrailWith so much on offer at the Glasgow Mackintosh Festival The Mackintosh Trail Ticket is an excellent way to get around the Mackintosh Venues for £12.00 per person per day. The ticket can be purchased at Glasgow Tourist Information Centres, SPT Travel Centres and all participating Mackintosh venues in and around Glasgow or bought online at https://www.crmsociety.com. When purchased, the ticket gives individuals unlimited travel on the Subway, First's bus service in greater Glasgow and includes entry to CRM attractions throughout the city for one day.

Jazz festival -Sunday 25th June
    14:00
    Strathclyde Jazz Orchestra, Strathclyde Youth Jazz Orchestra, Glasgow Schools Jazz Competition Old Fruitmarket £5
    evening -Proms classical music tickets from £5-Lord of the Rings
    Pollock House -afternoon charity event organised by police force -displays etc
    Architecture Week Walk - Necropolis

Daily historical walks led by Land Services Park Rangers. Each tour lasts one hour and is held three times a day. Tours start at 11am, 1pm and 3pm

Venue details

Necropolis
    Cathedral Square
    Glasgow
    G4 0QY
    Bookings: 0141 763 1863
    Sun 25 Jun
    1100 1300 1500

PS THERE IS LOTS MORE!!!-basically in Glasgow -you can just decide what you fancy and it will be there.
  • WestieFan
    WestieFan Posts: 391 Forumite
    Forgot to mention, if you decide to do some retail therapy and head for Braehead Shopping Centre, although its only a 10 minute drive from the city centre, it is much more fun to take the Waterbus, especially if the weather is nice. You can see all the sights on the way there and back, and also visit the Maritime Museum at the same time.

http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    WestieFan wrote:
    Forgot to mention, if you decide to do some retail therapy and head for Braehead Shopping Centre, although its only a 10 minute drive from the city centre, it is much more fun to take the Waterbus, especially if the weather is nice. You can see all the sights on the way there and back, and also visit the Maritime Museum at the same time.

http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/

That looks FANTASTIC! I will have to give that a go!
  • Jo4
    I should point out that we will have the car as we are sailing over. We are going to park the car close by the hotel and hope to walk or get a bus or whatever to most places. We are going on Friday 8th September and returning on Tuesday 12th September.

THANKS for all the information!
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    I always take my "foreign" visitors on the 5 lochs journey. My way is to go on the M8 heading for Greenock. Take the Erskine Bridge cutoff and cross the Clyde. Take the A82 for Loch Lomand. Drive along the loch on the A82 to Tarbet and then take the A83 to Arrochar. That's the end of the outward phase. You come back along the A814 past Loch Long to Garelochhead, contining past the Gareloch through Helensburgh and then back into Glasgow. The scenery is magnificent and there are plenty of places to stop for walks and you can even get an odd cup of tea or even stronger.. It takes about 4 hours without stops. (I think, I've never managed to do it without stops)
    Something Really Interesting
  • Jo4
    brodev wrote:
    I always take my "foreign" visitors on the 5 lochs journey. My way is to go on the M8 heading for Greenock. Take the Erskine Bridge cutoff and cross the Clyde. Take the A82 for Loch Lomand. Drive along the loch on the A82 to Tarbet and then take the A83 to Arrochar. That's the end of the outward phase. You come back along the A814 past Loch Long to Garelochhead, contining past the Gareloch through Helensburgh and then back into Glasgow. The scenery is magnificent and there are plenty of places to stop for walks and you can even get an odd cup of tea or even stronger.. It takes about 4 hours without stops. (I think, I've never managed to do it without stops)

Will pass this info on to hubby as he is the driver and navigator as I have absolutely no sense of direction. :o
  • bokkie7975
    bokkie7975 Posts: 163 Forumite
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the Fossil Grove, have they?
    http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Parks_gardens/victoriapark.htm
    This is also a handy website for tips and ideas
    http://www.seeglasgow.com/
    You can get around Glasgow on the tour bus - it's a hop-on, hop-off tour, so if anything catches your eye, you can get off and explore, then get on the next tour. http://www.scotguide.com/city_tours.htm
    I hope you have a great time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport