PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can part-time single parents get mortgages?

Hi I'm trying to find some information on the best way to buy a house. I'm a single mum working part-time and currently have no deposit saved for a house, yet I earn enough each month to happily cover a £800 rent which happens to be the total cost of someone elses mortgage! So what are the chances of someone like me getting 100% mortgage so I can put this £800 each month into better use! Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Hi Munchkin,

Welcome to MSE!

Could I ask how much you earn? This would be a key factor in getting a mortgage x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Is this a wind up?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • Hiya no this isn't a wind-up. I'm new to all this single parent (am currently separating from partner) and mortgage stuff so I just want to know where to start.

I earn 11,500k, another question is if having a mortgage would effect me getting Working Tax credits and Child Tax credits, I'm about to apply for both these next month.. (or should that topic go under a different part of the forum?)
  • sorry forgot to mention, also getting £450 child maintenance from ex and according to www.entitledto.co.uk I would get approx £6400 for WTC and CTC...
  • BettiePage
    What is the average price of a property around your way? Would you end up with a 15x mortgage?
  • 150,000 to 160,000 for a 1 bedroom place but I am willing to look further afield to make the £'s stretch more.

Don't worry mrstinchcombe I've been in this country for over 6 years working since the day I arrived on a 30k wage and paying ludicrous amounts of tax, I see it as getting some of it back :rolleyes: ...and I feel I can live with myself getting a few benefits as I'm not looking to get job allowance or income support (I would rather choke than not work). But I also gotta look after a 12 month old and I feel i can't put him into full-time care just yet.

Anyway! I digress.. is getting a mortgage when I'm only a part-timer realistic in my circumstances?
  • BettiePage
    A 100% 15x mortgage? Pretty slim chance of that I'd say.
  • Does anyone know much about shared ownership? Buying with a housing association where you pay part mortgage and part rent. I'm just throwing ideas in the air for all I know I could be pushing wet string up a hill but I'm just seeing what the possibilities are.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With £11,500 a year, you'd be lucky to get a 46k mortgage. This is not taking into account any debts, or regular outgoings you have.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,446
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    To encourage you, I got one and on a temporary contract too. The key differences being that I was earning £27K and only wanted to borrow £28.5K and I put down a £40K deposit on a house costing £68.5K. Glad I did as house now worth £130,000 and mortgage paid off :D
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £84/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure