Gaming for free

Wig
Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
edited 28 November 2009 at 6:23PM in Techie Stuff
This is the closest board I could think of for this thread.

This thread is for suggestions of PC games, either online or stand alone. Suggest good fun games which are either free or extremely cheap.

I'll start with a 100% FREE multiplayer online game - first person shooter, where you fight against other people online, and also if no-one is online then bots are used. It is a second world war Allies v Axis teams game. Game is called "Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein" you download the game for free from game sites. There are a load of users around the world who 'host' games from their own servers, it's all a bit too technical for me, but that's basically it. One of those servers is called "pronoob" if you google "pronoob"
you'll find it.
Here's an example of gameplay with no music overlay.

Here's an example of some of the fun mods that people do

Some clips with music overlay better quality

Comments

• CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Combat Arms Europe is completely free.

First Person Shooter, lots of different types of games. Earn points for promotion, better weapons etc....
    Biggest problem for me is the kids are too good and kick my !!!.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i hop onto https://www.newgrounds.com from time to time when i'm stuck somewhere with low bandwidth and/or a low spec machine.

a lot of junk but some of the free flash games on there can amuse for 30 mins or so quite easily
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Runes of magic

its similar to world of warcraft but from what i heard its not as good but it could give an intro to the game genre
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My favourite free PC game is Trackmania Nations Forever. You can race loads of tracks and see how well your friends are doing, and there's an online multiplayer mode where you can connect to a huge number of servers all over the world and compete in real time. Oh, and you can design your own tracks too.

It would probably be my favourite PC game ever... if they hadn't made Trackmania United Forever - it's a paid-for upgrade to Nations Forever that gives you loads more tracks and different cars.

I logged on yesterday and the game said there was an update/patch available. It didn't give too much information, but I installed it... and found 127 new tracks! It's like being given a new game for free! Bloomin' marvellous!
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to play Travian, problem is it eats up your life as ideally you need to be monitoring the account 24 hours a day and each 'server' lasts over a year (except the speed server). It's basically a war strategy game, you start with a village and train troops to attack other villages and take their resources.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another great free game is Emily Enough - a retro-style graphic adventure game. Again, it's a fantastic game (whatever happened to adventure games anyway..?).
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    America's Army is a great game i play occasionally, however ive never spnt more hours on free games than on this.

This is also very funny after about level 3, gets very interesting. NOTE: you do need sound to play really, otherwise level 3 and after get very hard having to guess what to do.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2009 at 6:05PM
    In no particular order: There are undoubtedly more, but I can't remember what they were. There are a few tidbits to be found over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun though...
  • Humphrey10
    Humphrey10 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Kongregate has quite a range of browser based games, like with Newgrounds there's a lot of rubbish but quite a few good ones too.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Only one problem with free online pc games. You seem to get a lot of smart mouthed kiddies who haven't learned any gaming etiquette there. Sometimes they can be impossible to keep banned too because of dynamic ips :confused:

However I'm a total Enemy Territory addict and server admin for same game. Would welcome newbies to join and have some fun :j
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport