VAT - Excel Document

Hi all,

Friend of mine is in charge of running a small rest room tea bar.
He has an excel document which he has been using to administer the accounting for this.

All was fine until he had the bright idea of using bookers as opposed to ASDA to purchase stock

now the problem is that some of the stuff is chargable for VAt and some isnt

What, if any is the best way to update his document to account for VAT?

is it as simple as a autosum formula? if so, how?

Regards

Pete

Comments

• If I read your post correctly, then a simple way to calculate VAT on excel is to multiply the net figure by 1.175

So if the net figure is in cell A1, the formula is =a1*1.175 which will give you the gross figure (including vat). To strip out the VAT and return to the net figure divide by 1.175 hence =a1/1.175
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    I'd have three columns for the amount:

Net, VAT and Gross

Net - obviously free from VAT.
    VAT - show the VAT amount if there is any (you can auto calc this from using net*17.5/100
    Gross - have this totalling the Net and VAT columns.

Obviously if there is no VAT on the item, put a zero in the VAT column so the net and gross show the same value.

As this is food related, there may be different VAT rates applicable, so you might want a 4th column to show the VAT rate.
  • All was fine until he had the bright idea of using bookers as opposed to ASDA to purchase stock

now the problem is that some of the stuff is chargable for VAt and some isnt

Is all the information not on the VAT receipt from Bookers? And if he does not have a VAT receipt he should ask for one. The VAT receipt will detail how much as been bought at the different VAT rates i.e. the net and VAT amounts for each category.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport