is Aldi any good....

was just wondering wat aldi is like for shopping...went to asda the other week and noticed quite alot of stuff has gone up..usually spend £30 ending up spending £50 at asda..so I wasnt happy..:confused:how much are the basics there...bread milk etc thought I would gave them a try:rotfl:

Comments

• flanno_2
    flanno_2 Posts: 68
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi a66y31

I use Aldi quite a bit for things like milk, cereals, their crunchy nut corn flakes are the same as Crunchy Nut Corn flakes (Kelloggs) and are only 1.49 (euro) I live in Dublin so prices may vary from the UK. I buy fruit, veg, breads, pittas etc. there. I also buy tinned toms, tikka masala jars, olive oil etc. For 25/30 euro you can get a surprising amount of stuff.

Happy shopping
    Flanno:j:j
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    I used Lidl and Aldi when possible. Both have great tinned/frozen/fresh lines. Apart from a few items (personal taste) , you can't tell the difference between their goods and other supermarkets' goods once you've unpacked them.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    certain things i just won't buy anywhere else. Aldi's tuna and their chopped plum tomatoes, for example, are just the best (even better than branded, i think, and certainly much cheaper - tuna is 45p a tin, plum toms 21/27p a tin) and we drink their apple and blackcurrant squash - 89p a bottle. I also go for their UHT skimmed milk - 44p a litre - cheese and ham, their cereal, men's deodorant (for OH), toothpaste, dog food, olives, eggs (before i switched to freerange anyway, now i'm switching i have to shop around again!)... oh lord. lots of stuff. I've never had any real problems with quality either, except the occasional thing going off (their packs of peppers are particularly bad for this).

Contrast that to lidl - their chopped tomatoes are watery, and i've returned several things that just broke the first time i used them. I will shop at lidl (their bread flour is good) but its only for specific things. You really do have to try things to find out whether you like them or not. fortunately i have an aldi and a lidl both in walking distance so i just walk up with my trolley when i need to stock up on stuff :)

as for the basics, if i remember right (cos i don't buy bread) cheap plastic white is around 20-30p a loaf, you can buy a selection of bread there. Milk starts at 44p for UHT stuff, around a pound for fresh stuff. You couldn't do a full shop there i think, you'd still need to go to a bigger supermarket for the stuff they don't do, but you can certainly get a lot there. Perhaps a big shop at the big supermarket (asda) on a montly basis for the stuff aldi doesn't do, then a weekly shop at aldi would work for you?

keth
    xx
  • EC12345
    EC12345 Posts: 481
    Forumite
    Hi there,

I went to Aldi for the first time last week. I got two cartons of juice which were absolutely lovely and milk.

In fact am going back there this Friday.
    Mortgage Free
    Save £5,000 in 2020[CENTER
    :j
  • Hi, I don't do all my shop at Aldi but it's a case of trying stuff, not everything is cheaper. I always buy:-
    - Bread buns they are lovely, nicer than the supermarkets, it may vary but ours in the northeast of Eng are made by Peters bakery pack of buns(6) 55p.
    - Ground coffee for filter machines much cheaper and just as nice.
    - fresh pizzas 99p lovely.
    - cartons of juice, cheaper and much nicer that value stuff
    - some of the frozen stuff is great, their 'specially selected' puds in the freezer are lovely and cheaper than 'extra special'.
    - continental meats.
    - some fruit and veg but not all is better or cheaper, its a case of looking on the day but again you can get good buys on seasonal veg.
    I could go on. Go in and try, they also get good offers in TVs, bikes all sorts but sell out really quickly first come first served.
    Oh and take some carriers with you, to cut costs and therefore prices you have to buy your carriers and they don't have baskets.
    LBM 17th April 2007:j
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 [strike]Sainsys,M&S,[/strike][strike] HSBC[/strike]
    Grocery Challenge £350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi abby,

As this is more of a shopping thread I've moved it over to the Shop but Don't Drop board.

Martin has written an article on What's Hot and What's Not at Aldi/Lidl/Netto In that article there's a link to the chat forum thread that is still current and should give you some idea of what's worth buying at Aldi.

Pink
  • Hi there,

I usually do my full shop at Aldi and I have never had any probs with it. The food is as good quality if not better and some of the things we buy there are nicer than things bought from Asda/Tesco. They do these yoghurts called Mmmmm and they defo are mmmmmmm!

Also just wanted to point out that there prices have gone up recently and I dont find them the cheapest shop anymore. They are probably still cheaper than Asda/ Tesco but I have noticed a big difference in my weekly shop. We decided to try Netto last week and got our full week shop for about £12/£15 less than Aldi. They are the cheapest ATM in my opinion and a lot of the stuff there is brand name.
    AMxxx
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 752
    Northern Rock Loan £7500(4yrs 4 months left)
    Virgin CC £2559.42 - 0% until Feb 09
  • Aldi is super value saved £30-40 of my weekly shop it has a lot of stigma still atached to it as Lidl has but there is nothing wrong with the place. Its also less busy than the normal supermarkets so you dont feel like you are in a cattle market.
    Cheeses are good value and have loads of lovely frozen foods. Plus they have the best chocolate out there anyone who shops there knows the one i mean the white chocolate bar.

Go on a recon trip and see if the stuff is ok for you cherry pick a few items and see what they are like .
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062
    Forumite
    our only problem with the likes of Aldi is that the fruit and veg doesnt last as long as we would expect. We do a weekly shop and from the major supermarkets this isnt a problem but from the likes of Aldi it just doesnt last
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149
    Forumite
    eslick wrote: »
    our only problem with the likes of Aldi is that the fruit and veg doesnt last as long as we would expect. We do a weekly shop and from the major supermarkets this isnt a problem but from the likes of Aldi it just doesnt last

Ooh def think Tescos fruit & veg is much worse - only lasts a couple of days and I've bought a few things that have been off as soon as I've opened the packets esp tomatoes & potatoes. I've had off meat from tescos as well.
    Aldi's fruit & veg isn't bad but Sainsburys is better and seems to last much longer. I shop in lots of supermarkets for different things.
    Love Aldi's small tins of tuna with tomato and basil, and their hi-juice blackcurrant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure