Capital One card being declined?????

Today I tried to order something over the phone but my card was rejected. I have absolutely no idea why and so I tried to call them to ask, but got told that they were closed and to call back tomorrow. However, I put my details in online and a message came up saying that due to unusual activity my card has been rejected !!!!!!?? It is Christmas of COURSE I am going to spend a bit more money than usual. Nobody has tried to call me or anything to warn me, I have just had to be humiliated by having my card rejected. It isn't even as though I have spent anywhere near my limit, and have been using the card for my every day living as I get 4% cashback and pay it all off by direct debit every month. It is extremely inconvenient - has anybody else had this?

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Before you get too annoyed, it may be a good thing. Perhaps someone has cloned your card or whatever.

It is not really a big deal, happens to most of us, sometimes for no apparent reason. I just use another card.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was on a business trip in another continent, I had phoned up Amex in advance to tell them where I was going so they knew about it .... but they still declined 2 of my transactions while abroad as "unusual behaviour" (no, nothing dodgy ... just buying some goods in a shopping mall and a CD at the airport!). It happens.

They are protecting both you and themselves when they do this. Don't take it personally. Agreed that it is inconvenient and can be embarrassing. However, having an alternative card is useful in these circumstances.

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • carguy
    carguy Posts: 12 Forumite
    They are most likely just watching out for you. It can happen a lot when traveling.
    I usually call the card companies that I'm going to use out of town and let them know where I'm going and it helps prevent it.
  • I had a similar problem in that my new Capital One card was rejected when my husband tried to use it. We called them to be told that they had to put a stop on it and re-issue new cards within 7-10 working days. They were very cagey on the phone and would not tell us why the card was being stopped but ran through a few transactions to make me think there was a problem although they would not confirm exactly what! This happened on 21st December just before the sales. I have had the card just over a month and paid off the first bill in full, as I have always done. Like you I was feeling rather scinical as I was aware that I would not be getting my 4% cashback over the Christmas Sales period. Your thoughts are my thoughts exactly!
  • I've just been called by Capital One informing me that they want to issue me with a new card and that they will be disabling my current card with immediate effect. Whilst I am in agreement that it's always better to be safe than sorry, I think it's a bit off that more information was not given as to why my account had been chosen. I do make regular online purchases and if one of my recent purchases had raised alarms then I would like to know. I too got the impression the caller wasn't giving me all of the information. As she was talking, all that was going through my head was that Capital One have messed something up with the a/c but aren't telling me, I guess I should be more trusting of what large corporations tell me...
    Anyway I shouldn't complain, I seem to have been lucky enough to have been given advanced warning.
  • rbrian
    rbrian Posts: 35 Forumite
    srpat wrote: »
    ...I guess I should be more trusting of what large corporations tell me....

No no no no no! And furthermore, no! You should trust a large corporation about as far as you can throw it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure