Garden Fence - Whose Responsibility?

2»

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Its actually a bit more than that. The fence post has snapped and its going to be a fair bit of work to dig it out and install a new one. By the looks of it the rest of the fence posts could go quite soon too so I would like to get the bottomed out.

As I said, I am happy to go 50:50 but my neighbour is not.
    How much for a new fence? If the neighbour does not want to pay, you could end up arguing for months, upset your neighbour and get nowhere. Life is too short, some battles are not worth fighting. Maybe he does not think it is important as you do? If it bothers you get it done.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Our fence is going and needs replacing, no idea who owns it but wouldn't dream of asking them even though they have a dog because they wouldn't give a flying heck
  • missile wrote: »
    How much for a new fence? If the neighbour does not want to pay, you could end up arguing for months, upset your neighbour and get nowhere. Life is too short, some battles are not worth fighting. Maybe he does not think it is important as you do? If it bothers you get it done.

I dont care about the fence. They approached me and asked me what I am going to do about it because they like their privacy. I am prepared to be reasonable about this but if they insist the fence is my responsibility I will just take the whole thing down.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If they want there privacy they either pay the full amount of at least you pay half if its fair to both sides
  • savemoney wrote: »
    If they want there privacy they either pay the full amount of at least you pay half if its fair to both sides

Yes, that is exactly my position.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dont care about the fence. They approached me and asked me what I am going to do about it because they like their privacy. I am prepared to be reasonable about this but if they insist the fence is my responsibility I will just take the whole thing down.

You definitely need to find out your position if your neighbour is putting responsibilty on you. As I previously said both neighbours when I moved into my house were quick to tell us we were responsible for all the fences/walls and we weren't.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • rustybucket
    rustybucket Posts: 277
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What side are they on as you look from the front of your property? We are also responsible for the fences to the right as someone else mentioned. You could try asking other neighbours to see if they know?

Why rip the whole fence down? Isn't that just being stubborn and causing potential issues between you?
  • What side are they on as you look from the front of your property? We are also responsible for the fences to the right as someone else mentioned. You could try asking other neighbours to see if they know?

Why rip the whole fence down? Isn't that just being stubborn and causing potential issues between you?

I don think so. I'm not bothered about the fence. My neighbour was quite confrontational asking what I am going to do about it - its probably not my sole responsibility anyway.

Why should I pay just because they want their privacy. Even if the fence is mine (which I don't think it is) I don't have to fix it anyway. As I said, the rest of the fence looks like it might fall down soon and I dont want to spend money on replacing the whole thing myself - it is simply not a priority for me.

I have done my best to find out if I own the fence, I have:

1) Checked the title plan
    2) Checked the documentation from my solicitor when I bought the house
    3) Asked the neighbours

Nobody seems to know the answer. I just want to make sure I have exhausted every avenue of investigation in case things escalate further.

As I said, I will go halfs and I think that is reasonable.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That is a little different than your previous posts. If it is your fence, then it is your choice whether to repair it or not.

If you are not bothered about the fence tell the neighbour, I am prepared to pay 50% and no more. If he gets stroppy, tell him to speak to your solicitor.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport