how much is water per unit if you have a meter ?

2»

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Family of six using about 3 units a week paying £35 a month which just about covers it.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Family of six using about 3 units a week paying £35 a month which just about covers it.

Don't forget that metered water charges vary a huge amount across the country. The SW at over £4 for a cubic metre is over twice as expensive as some other areas.
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    :j been told i can apply for a watersure scheme, as i have 3 children under 19 and have to use extra water for my son due to medical reasons, so should save some money, as water people told me i will pay no more than £300 per year, so that will save me quite a few pound
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Don't forget that metered water charges vary a huge amount across the country. The SW at over £4 for a cubic metre is over twice as expensive as some other areas.

Yep, been there, paid that ...
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Is there a site to work out which would be best - meter or stay as we are? We pay a set amount each month - £28.

It tastes like bleach. Even when I've had the washing machine on the clothes come out with a slight bleachy smell.

can't drink the pat water either! So I spend a fortune on bottled water for us two and two dogs!
    Harvey, whether or not you stay on a meter, you need to be doing something about the quality your water supply - chances are it should not be tasting like that! Do other houses in the area have these problems?

Check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/KeepingSafeAtHome/DG_10014610 for a basic guide to how to get this investigated.

~Jes :)
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    :j thanks all for your help, just had my bill from may 1st till nov 8th, family of 6 , bill was £126 :T

thought it was going to be a lot more than that !!!
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Is there a site to work out which would be best - meter or stay as we are? We pay a set amount each month - £28.

It tastes like bleach. Even when I've had the washing machine on the clothes come out with a slight bleachy smell.

can't drink the pat water either! So I spend a fortune on bottled water for us two and two dogs!

can you not save money with a Brita? Or does that not work ?:confused:
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    POSSETTE wrote: »
    can you not save money with a Brita? Or does that not work ?:confused:
    Excellent idea - hadn't thought about that! :T

Yes, that may well do the trick - has to be worth a try over buying bottled water! I use one as I am in a hard water area and would kill my kettle on a regular basis if I didn't, but they do also remove impurites like flourine and chlorine, as well as heavy metal traces like lead and iron. Might not be perfect, and of course you have to buy cartridges, but it will be far cheaper than bottled water. :)

~Jes :)
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cardew wrote: »

London / thames water is about £1.60 inc sewerage... probably because so much gushes down the thames and floods the place from time to time :)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    JasX wrote: »
    London / thames water is about £1.60 inc sewerage... probably because so much gushes down the thames and floods the place from time to time :)

SW water charge £4.45 and have large standing charges on top of that; so three times more than Thames, and about twice that of Severn Trent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure