Can my dependent 17 year old move out without parental permission?

Comments

• jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think the option is can you stop her going I think it's more important that you discuss her plans with her, including her plans for college, finances and her plans if it doesn't work out? She might see that if you're not against it she can wait until after her exams to move out. The last thing you need is for her to be stuck there because she doesn't want to lose face and for one of you to say 'told you so'. I don't know whether it's just her mum & dad who lay the law down but how many people does she have telling her what she should do?

7 miles and a bus journey is miles away when your 17 and in love and I don't think 17 year olds realise the value of compromise. Is there a cultural issue why she will be preparing for motherhood and not carrying on with her studies? Our children don't always follow the path we would like them to and sometimes we can't protect them from themselves.

I would not be taking the hard line if she is serious about this, I would be making it clear that I did not agree and although I was disappointed, that I would be there to support her. I would be making sure that I was involved with both him and his family that way I would still have contact and influence.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not make it into a big occasion?

If she were going away to Uni or moving into a new flat, it would be emotional but exciting too. So why say that you and mum/stepdad (if there is a stepdad) want to have a meal at yours or in a restaurant with his family etc etc. You can even say, either before the meal or during, that you aren't overly happy at the situation but of course your daughter must make her own decisions.

At the moment it sounds like you are all getting upset but no one is actually talking properly to each other. (I know it is difficult with teenagers). Do you think that bf's parents would let her move in if you all were against it? They may not know your opinion.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    I think you need to accept its happening and go for damage limitation. Give her your blessing, a big hug and a frank discussion about financial supporrt, then let her fly the coop. You talk a lot about what she should do, but it seems to me that she has indeed decided what she is going to do and you and your partner are unhappy that she has deviated from what you previously thought she wanted and you agreed with. In all these situations from the first time on the bike without stabilisers to the first time moving in with a partner we can only let them go and hope they can pedal fast enough to stop falling over and having a nasty accident. If she's not ready she will need some-one to kiss it all better and clean up the mess, that's your partners job!
  • moggypants
    moggypants Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all. Things have been resolved for the moment and she has decided she's staying at home. After a moment of reflection, and a chat, she has realised she's a little confused at the moment with the transition of moving into adulthood, yet still having immature needs and overwhelmed over changes that have happened over the past few years.

Still, thank you for all your help - we may need to refer back to all this before long - but I hope not!
  • By 16 a child should be able to leave home and the parents should be able to let the child leave home. By mutual respect and some dependency, they don't have to move out but you can't control a 17 year old, telling them what to do and where to do it.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    By 16 a child should be able to leave home and the parents should be able to let the child leave home. By mutual respect and some dependency, they don't have to move out but you can't control a 17 year old, telling them what to do and where to do it.

It's natural for a parent to want to steer a 17 year old towards college and work rather than marriage and pregnancy though ... Glad things seem ok moggypants and that she's talked about it.
    52% tight
  • olibrofiz
    olibrofiz Posts: 821 Forumite
    Have been going through a similar thing OP over the last two months with my 17 year old DD.

AFter wailing on here about her being unrealistic (at college, no job, no income) and wanting to move in with her bf I got some great advice. I decided that over the Easter break her bf could stay for the first week, and against my better judgement, they stay at his for the next week (he 'rents' a room in a house his parents own). Waved them off for the second week and they were back with me within 3 days. Think she has some inkling now that the grass isn't always greener.

That's not to say the challenges are over. Maybe you could suggest your SD stay with her bf for a few days each week rather than move in completely.
  • moggypants
    moggypants Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    By 16 a child should be able to leave home and the parents should be able to let the child leave home. By mutual respect and some dependency, they don't have to move out but you can't control a 17 year old, telling them what to do and where to do it.

Yes, by sixteen a child who is socially and emotionally secure should be - but lets be honest - how many sixteen year olds are? Plus, what kind of parent would honestly encourage that?

We know you can't control a seventeen year old - hence our desperation in posting on here. But - you can expect a seventeen year old to be able to compromise, by giving and taking - not having a tantrum because they can't to do exactly as they please, when and where they please.

If you can't expect a child/teenager to abide by simple rules in and around the home - especially after you've given some leeway - how can you expect them to abide by any rules - including common decency?
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    I think a 17 year old can be made a 'Ward of Court'

I left home at 16 to live with my boyfriend, my Mum was unhappy and worried about this, she knew it was pointless to try and stop me but applied to the court for me to be made a Ward of Court

That meant that the court was responsible for me and really I couldn't make big, life changing (stupid) decisions without their approval
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You would only tell them when it is absolutely beyond any doubt that she will not return. So that would be when all of her possessions have been removed from the house. Immediately does not always mean next day as the Child Benefit rules say you can still claim for 8 weeks then advise the Child Benefit office and it will still remain in payment if that money is being spent on her. Continuing to claim Housing Benefit may cause an overpayment which may need to be repaid but it's not an offence if her stuff is still there to not notify if the mother claims her daughter still lives there and is just going through a phase of wanting to stay with her friend for a bit longer than would be expected. They do allow some leeway in notifying change of circumstances. In any case the mother can claim a discretionary housing payment due to the departure of one of her children and then she hands in notice on her property and claims HB at the old rate for another couple of months whilst looking for somewhere cheaper. If she had just started a fixed term tenancy on the expectation her daughter would be with her for the entire time then that can continue for 6 months. Yes you need to tell the truth but not immediately only whenever everything has settled down and everyone is absolutely sure that they have made a permanent choice. 8 weeks is about right.

i dont know about children moving out of home at that age, but i know that when children are accommodated by SSD, the child benefit runs on with the parent for 6 weeks and then is cancelled. we get forms to fill in about the date of care. at least it was 6 weeks the last time i filled one in (about 3 years ago)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure