DVLA Sorn Question Help needed pls to appeal

Options
2»

Comments

• flutterbyuk25
    Options
    I wouldn't bother appealing, my car was written off by my insurance company in June shortly before the tax was due to run out, and after sending my insurance company the logbook etc I was fined by the DVLA last month for having no tax on the car even though I don't have the logbook and havent since June.

After being on the phone to the relevant office I was told the fine stands and must be paid, told them it won't be paid till I speak with my insurance company as surely they should have informed the DVLA it had been written off.

It is still your legal responsibilty to inform DVLA when you dispose of a vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle was written off.

You should have returned Section 9 from the logbook, or written a letter if you had mistakenly given this to your insurer
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Why? You could be selling it on and are cashing the tax in. You could be scrapping it and are cashing the tax in. In March, there'll be a fair few people cashing their tax in and retaxing the car for 12 months to avoid the VED hike.

Conor,

The increase in VED was shelved by Chancellor. Max increase now of £5 for majority of vehicles.

Also, from jan 1st 2009 refunds can only be paid if vehicle has been sold/scrapped/exported or declared SORN for minimum of 21 days. And will only be paid to a person who is current or previous registered keeper.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • dfountain_2
    Options
    On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a £40 fine for each vehicle, £880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
    Thanks in advance
  • Thomas99
    Options
    [QUOTE=dfountain_Today, 9:50 PM;16770095]On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a £40 fine for each vehicle, £880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
    Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

You already wrote that yesterday (8:08 PM)...why have you got 22 vehicles? If you are a trader, you should know the rules. If you are a private individual with 22 vehicles, you can afford the £880 penalty :D
    Founder member MSE Jet Airways Mile High Club
    Member #1
    :love:
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Conor,

The increase in VED was shelved by Chancellor. Max increase now of £5 for majority of vehicles.

Also, from jan 1st 2009 refunds can only be paid if vehicle has been sold/scrapped/exported or declared SORN for minimum of 21 days. And will only be paid to a person who is current or previous registered keeper.

x

Fair enough. I've given up trying to keep up with it all and it was only an extra £15 a year for me anyway which isn't worth worrying about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure