How do I cancel my Creditexpert free trial?

I followed Martin's advice to get a free credit report from here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1101485056,23650,#finding

Not only have they started charging £4.99 to get your credit score (you can still view your report for free), but I seem to be unable to cancel my free trial! :mad: Anyone used creditexpert.co.uk and successfully cancelled? I can't find a "cancel my trial" button, page or form anywhere on their site!

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can call them to cancel on 0800 656 9000 (Mon-Fr 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm) . When I cancelled, there was even a special option (3) to cancel, and no questions were asked.

You said they started charging £4.99 for your credit score? They can only charge you the £4.99 if you have asked for your credit score, so if you did ask them, you will have agreed to some T&Cs related to the credit score. Sorry, don't know how you get out of this, i never asked for my credit score.
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    I think you can email them too.. but I phoned too. It works out to pay monthly and get reports every 24 hours if you want.. not sure you'd want to keep on tabs of it that much tho!!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • innovate wrote:
    YYou said they started charging £4.99 for your credit score? They can only charge you the £4.99 if you have asked for your credit score, so if you did ask them, you will have agreed to some T&Cs related to the credit score. Sorry, don't know how you get out of this, i never asked for my credit score.

Yes, you have to check a box, saying "charge £4.99 to my card" if you want a credit score calculated too. According to the article, you can get both a credit report and credit score by signing up for the free trial.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Chris120A wrote:
    According to the article, you can get both a credit report and credit score by signing up for the free trial.

You may have overlooked that Martin says "And don’t order the add-on ‘credit score/rating’ services as they’re not refundable" and "Never be fooled into thinking this [the credit score] has a solid meaning with individual lenders though."
  • I have e-mailed them at CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk , with the subject header "Cancelled Membership", and giving them my username and password, telling them I would like to cancel. Do you think this will work? I tried the phone number, and was kept on hold for 15 minutes, I would have waited longer, but I have to go out in a bit.
  • I just called the number above to cancel my service: it took less than a minute.
    The only info they needed was name, address, date of birth, mother's maiden name and they also asked if I had any questions. (ie, reason for leaving). My mobile network charged me about 70p for the call.

Sent me a confirmation email automatically, stating that I could renew the service at any time by using the same pins and details (don't know whether they charge from the outset - assume so), and that they would send me a confirmation email on the last day of my service, since the results can be viewed 30 days after last payment.

Absolutely hassle free.
  • I cancelled mine via email as I too was on hold for about 10-15 minutes. I received a confirmation email to say it was cancelled about 1-2 days later.
    :beer:
  • jatos
    jatos Posts: 53 Forumite
    Chris120A wrote: »
    I have e-mailed them at [EMAIL="CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk"]CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk[/EMAIL] , with the subject header "Cancelled Membership", and giving them my username and password, telling them I would like to cancel. Do you think this will work? I tried the phone number, and was kept on hold for 15 minutes, I would have waited longer, but I have to go out in a bit.

:S

Never send your password via email, seriously!
  • dazz7400
    dazz7400 Posts: 33 Forumite
    I just tried to cancel my membership with them by email. Must not be an option now, as i got the following automated response :

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

RE: Your cancellation Request

If you would like to cancel your membership, please call us on free phone 0800 656 9000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am until 6pm and Saturday 9am until 1pm. The lines can be very busy so you may wish to avoid the peak times of 10am to 11am and 12pm to 2pm on weekdays.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL:

* We receive regular updates from lenders, so it is likely that your credit report will change. As a member of CreditExpert, you can check your report as often as you like.

* While you are a member we will also send you alerts to tell you when your credit report changes significantly.

* You can easily check your report before you apply for credit, to make sure everything is up to date.

* If you have a specific question about your credit report, please use this form: Website address deleted as I'm a new user. We will reply by e-mail as soon as possible.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

And remember, if you do cancel your membership, you can easily rejoin Credit Expert any time you need us.

If you are unable to call the free phone number, please call us on 0115 935 6700.

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email.
    RBS Overdraft - £700
    Vodafone - £509
    Orange - £516.39
    Total Due
    £1725.39
  • drewdrop
    drewdrop Posts: 90 Forumite
    Hi, it's the same with equifax, you need to ring them to cancel trial, I just had to ring Equifax again as they still billed me for another month, sorted easily though. £2 stat reports for me from now on ( not that I have a choice as had free trials with both Experian & Equifax)
    :jDEBT FREE 27th MAY 2010:j
    Paid off - o/d £2750, loan £23000 (11 mts early), CC @ £14000
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills