How do I remove the write protection from my sd card

I just bought a digital photo frame and only after opening realised I needed a sd or mmc card to get photos onto it, luckily I found an old sd card in an old camera so I thought great lets fill it with pics and fire up the digi photo frame. Ha, if only life was that simple, as there are old pics on the card which I don't want I tried to delete them only to find a nasty message "this disk is write protected". What does it mean and how do I sort it out?
any advice greatly apprieciated.:confused:

Comments

• 1_gb_sd_card_sandisk_1089.th.jpg

You should see a small slide on the side of the memory card slide it towards the top of the card, the top being where the 45 degree corner is
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had noticed this little slide and have tried it in both positions a few times but the error message still appears. I have also tried to format the disk but no joy, do you think the disk is faulty?:confused:
  • Hi mikeopvc and anyone else interested (this is a common problem);

I hope this helps - I had the same problem with several cards but eventually found a way around it. DON'T buy a new one!!!!!!!!

Make sure the SD card lock is 'off' and then use thin, opaque sticky tape (ie non see-through; eg insulation tape) to cover the whole gap but keep clear of the metal contacts at the back.

Your card should work fine now.....don't know why this has to be done, but it works!!!!!!!!!

Any problems, please get back to me....
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Eric, I managed to sort the problem by using the sd card drive on my printer which means my computer sd drive must be at fault. I don't doubt that your method would have worked but how the hell would you find out something like that anyway, you must have been really determined not to buy another card.
  • cwoodham
    cwoodham Posts: 432 Forumite
    eric*75 wrote: »
    Make sure the SD card lock is 'off' and then use thin, opaque sticky tape (ie non see-through; eg insulation tape) to cover the whole gap but keep clear of the metal contacts at the back.

That's interesting. I'll bear it in mind too. ...And welcome to the Techie board Eric.
  • HI had the same problem ,card worked on my sons pc but not mines so i tried the tape method & hey presto it worked.
    Dont know how you came up with the fix but thanks eric*75

:j
  • The sticky tape option worked for me to.
  • buses7675
    buses7675 Posts: 837 Forumite
    Hi All,

This may work as the way the right protect works is similar to that on how it works on VHS tapes or Audio Tapes, where the reader just checks to see if the tab is in whichever position (or on a tape missing), rather than the card itself electronicly stopping overwriting.

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • Hi, i had the same problem trying to put photos onto my sd card, i tried the 'tape on the lock slide' method but it didn't work for me.
    I then tried another method someone suggested, put the lock slide in the half way position, hey presto it worked. I presume everyone who encounters this problem must have a faulty reader:j?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure