Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Comments

• lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had no problems cancelling via the phone number, hope you get through soon.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • laura2481
    laura2481 Posts: 4,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    laura2481 wrote: »
    thanks to Bristolleedsfan who posted this on another thread: (number for Equifax) It was posted last week so should be current...

Here is a freephone number to avoid a peak time 0870 number call. :mad:

:T 0800 7839421 :T

U need the report reference number to hand, they ask you why u want to cancel, I said that whilst I found the free trial useful, I didnt believe their was any further benefit to be had. ;)

I just rang freephone number and they 'put me through' to the right department. Took less than 2 minutes, they were friendly and polite and didn't even ask why I was canceling. Glad it's sorted, know definitley won't get charged the £70!! :)
  • Thank you for the info, I just rang, it was very easy, I was worried that I was going to get a hard sell, but I didn't at all!
  • swimityswim
    swimityswim Posts: 52 Forumite
    Arrgghh, Im having so much trouble canceling. Called the 0800 number on here but the woman told me to phone the 0870 number instead as she couldnt cancel my account! Ive emailed them...but have no idea whether its gone to the right person as it was a minefield of drop down menus on the form with nothing actually relevant. My free 30 days expires on Sunday...how much am I going to get charged? I'm going to write to them today aswell, although I don't know whether it'll reach them in time?
  • ed60
    ed60 Posts: 2 Newbie
    :T
    thanks to Bristolleedsfan who posted this on another thread: (number for Equifax) It was posted last week so should be current...

U need the report reference number to hand, they ask you why u want to cancel, I said that whilst I found the free trial useful, I didnt believe their was any further benefit to be had. ;)
    thankyou so much for the freephone number, Ive been at it for hours try:T ing to cancel ,all done now thanks to u
  • ed60
    ed60 Posts: 2 Newbie

U need the report reference number to hand, they ask you why u want to cancel, I said that whilst I found the free trial useful, I didnt believe their any further benefit to be had. ;)
    thankyou so much for the freephone number it has taken hours trying to cancel your a star :T
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 June 2009 at 2:32PM
    I successfully cancelled mine online but unfortunately I can't post the link as a new member!

To do it you have to go to the customer support section (from the Members Centre page, click on Customer Service; How can we help you; then Frequently asked questions), then there's a link that says "How do I cancel my subscription" or something like that, and there's further instructions there.

I submitted the request yesterday and just got confirmation that it was cancelled today.
  • I managed to cancel mine today after many frustrating phone calls.

The 0845 number on the equifax site is rubbish. I called it many times and once I'd got through all the options I got a recorded message saying all the lines were busy, please try later and then got cut off. Very annoying, and probably a very good little money spinner for Equifax. I tried to send the email too but got no response. I then found this site and called the 0800 number posted on here (seems to be for business enquiries), got put through to the other department and then had to hang on for a bit on hold. Once I actually spoke to a real person they were very helpful, cancelling my subscription immediately with no hard sell and refunding the payment that had gone out of my account because I'd gone past the 30 day free trial. I only signed up for the report for the cashback, but I've learned my lesson now!
  • ayayay
    ayayay Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tried calling the number they gave, but told to call again later. Why don't they have a queueing system?
    Tried to cancel online, using their instructions. That didn't work.
    In the end called the freephone number above and got through. Told my money will be refunded - we will see.

The equifax website is confusing (I think deliberately so). Clearly they make it difficult for you to cancel

Ironic really, since I joined in the first place to prevent fraud.

I think the £2 statutory report is by far the most convenient, and will be using that in future.
  • ed60 wrote: »
    thankyou so much for the freephone number it has taken hours trying to cancel your a star :T

One call to the freephone number and my subs was cancelled and charge (£6.99) refunded. All done in under 2 minutes!

Email confirmation received immediately!

Thanks to laura for putting the number up.

OMM.
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure