Leaving BT -Do I keep line rental or not?

Hey all,

Just received another huawge BT bill for no good reason and have decided it's time to change provider.

I'm way past contract time - so first question is will BT charge me anything for switching?

Next, who to switch to?
I put my no. into the talk talk website and it says I can't get free broadband but I can get broadband and phone with Talk2 International for £31.39 a month or Talk3 International for £35.49 a month + £30 connection fee for either.

Or alternatively Tiscali can do me this:

For just £14.99 a month:
  • Up to 512Kb broadband (can't get higher due to exchange apparently
  • FREE weekend UK calls
  • 25% off Tiscali Line rental
  • Completely FREE set up!
Tiscali seems like the way forward, but I've read a few threads on here that mention about keeping your line rental with BT. Can anyone please explain the pros and cons to that?

Cheers

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    As always, my recommendation would be that you leave your line rental with BT (downsize to BT Together Option 1 if you're not already on that), pay by DD, opt for paper-free billing and then click the 'HERE' link in my signature below.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I moved to Talk Talk from BT about a month ago and I pay the line rental to them. I only pay £21.39 so I must be 'unbundled'. As far as I am aware, I could go back to BT again at any time as Talk Talk is just 'renting' the line off them. I am on the internation tariff and having spoke to my brother in Canada for almost an hour yesterday and a friend in Australia for a similar length to time a few days earlier (at no additional charge as virtually all calls are included) I am well pleased. I did have a line problem for a few days but I found Talk Talk to be very helpful. Having heard lots of bad things I am more than impressed.
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    coolagarry wrote: »
    I moved to Talk Talk from BT about a month ago and I pay the line rental to them. I only pay £21.39 so I must be 'unbundled'. As far as I am aware, I could go back to BT again at any time as Talk Talk is just 'renting' the line off them.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. If Talk Talk have unbundled your exchange, your line has been separated from the BT network at the exchange and Talk Talk are now totally responsible for it.

As such, changing back to BT will, in effect, be a new installation and cost £124.99 at today's prices.

Fingers crossed you don't have to do that.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure