How much do Electric ovens cost to run vs Gas ovens?

neas
neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
See above question?

Landlord is replacing old knackered gas oven with a new electric oven... while im happy to have a new one, how much is it gonna cost to run it?

I.e at gas mark 8 how much more does it cost? :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Probably more as electricity per kilowatt is usually dearer than gas for same energy
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Electricity is more responsive (in ovens) and more or less 100% efficient and the new oven will probably be better insulated and have a more accurate thermostat. Won't be enough to completely wipe out the higher cost per kWh but will do a decent amount to mitigate it somewhat.
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    thats what i figured, was just looking for some typical costs.

I.e 20 quid more a year 100 quid more a year etc :P

Yea I also figured, itll be 'green' compared to old !!!!!! thing lol. So shouldnt be too much diff. thanks all.

Just we signed up to new flat and today everything we seemed to do seems to change... oven from gas to electric (granted we get new oven so its great :) ) and boiler being repaired.. so hes a good landlord just throwing me a few curveballs lol.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Although ... I used to have an electric oven and it took ages to heat up compared to the gas one I have now. I don't have the oven on for as long as I used to, and as said, gas is less than a third of the price lof electricity.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The good news is it should be easy enough to practically find out yourself how much your particular oven costs. The bad news is the reason it will be easy is because the meter will go round so much you'll be able to read and differentiate the start and end readings easily!
  • We got a Grande Remoska and use our double leccy-guzzling oven maybe twice a week now as opposed to every day previously. Whilst I completely accept that the £100 it cost is a little excessive to 'save on leccy' it really does use a much smaller amount of leccy to do basically the same job (in fact, my very hard to please, born-sceptic better half wouldn't cook meat in anything else now). It's rated at 650 watts and our cooker is rated at 3kwh (although I accept that the oven is thermostatically controlled so isn't using leccy all the time whereas the Remoska is 'always on, i.e. no thermostat'). Beauty of a Remoska if (like you) you live in rented accomodation is it leaves with you.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've a Remoska Mini, ideal for singles.

11083_normal.jpg
    You get them from Lakeland Ltd.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • I would go for gas. After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house. Gas is cheaper per KWh.

Also gas ovens have less that could go wrong with them.
  • kjsmith7
    kjsmith7 Posts: 519 Forumite
    Another way of looking at it (very rough calculations):

1 number on an elec meter ticking around (eg 00001 going to 00002) is the equivalent of 1 kWh and costs very roughly between 15p and 25p (on a one rate meter, depending on tariff, supplier, whether you're on a long term contract that you fixed years ago, whether they have a two tier system, standing charges, etc.).

1 number on a metric/5 dial gas meter ticking around (eg 00001 to 00002) is the equivalent of roughly 11kWh, and costs between 3p and 8p (again depending on supplier, tariff, etc. etc. etc.).

Obviously, gas and elec appliances use energy differently, but gas is usually cheaper than electric.

Hope that helps :)
  • kjsmith7 wrote: »
    costs very roughly between 15p and 25p

You need to change supplier. I pay just under 10p a unit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure