Wireless network connected, but can't get online

I'm a little frustrated. In our flat we have set up a wireless network; the router was set up through another computer and 3 people are online through it. I've got my adaptor set up and it is showing as connected to the wireless network, but I can't connect to the internet. I've tried for hours to work out which settings I need to alter and I've had a look through the forum for the same problem, but can't find anyone in exactly the same boat.

The two others (IE not the lad who set up the router) in the flat who have managed to connect aren't much use because they don't know how they managed it!!!

Please, please help!!!
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• If the others can access the internet, then we have to assume that the router is connected correctly.
    Therefore it must be the settings on your computer. You should try the Internet connection Wizard from help. If you cannot do that, take a look at Internet explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Connections Tab - It should have 'never dial a connection' selected. Hit the Lan Settings button and select 'automatically detect settings'

Let us know if this helps
    To infinity and beyond!
  • Try Mike's tip, if you are still having problems, we need a bit more info to help..

What router, wireless card, Operating system are you using. Do you use a software firewall, if so which one?

Can you connect to the router using a physical ethernet lead, and
    if so does the internet work using that?

The ping command sends a sonar type ping to another computer/website/router - it's the tool used to identify if your PC can see any other computers. If ping works, you will get a reply like this
    Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=244
    if it fails, you will get a Request timed out message.

Try these command from a Dos prompt (start, run cmd (or command)) and post back with the results

ping 127.0.0.1 - if this works, you have tcp/ip installed (good).
    ping 192.168.0.1 - can you talk to the router?
    ipconfig /release - Drop the ip address assigned to your PC
    ipconfig /renew - Pickup a new address from the router.

ping https://www.google.com - if this works, but IE doesn't, then this indicates problems with your IE config (Tools/internet options/connections/lan settings screen)

ping 66.102.9.104 if this works, but pinging google doesn't, then you have a dns problem (the dns server translates the name google to the ip address, a basic function required for the internet to function)

Let us know how you get on..
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Have you put your MAC address into your computer, I know nothing about it, but I know that everytime I upgrade my PDA/Phone/Laptop I have to go to my netgear space (I input http://netgear7*** amd add a MAC address to the wireless setting, and this seems to work, if I do not add the MAC address I can 'see' the router, but not 'talk' to me.
    Hope this helps

Andy
  • jakemuk
    jakemuk Posts: 973 Forumite
    check the acsess control on firebox/pix
    Wannabe DFW NERD: Not fully fledged member yet !
    HSBC Bank Charges Reclaim In Progress Total: £1462.56
    HSBC CC Reclaim Total: £180.00 PAID IN FULL :D
  • jimmy_g
    jimmy_g Posts: 46
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your advice gentlemen, I tried Mike's without success and haven't got an ethernet connection on my pc to try albert's. I have just reinstalled my adaptor whilst the router was connected to the administrator pc via ethernet cable, then used set up network wizard again - it's worked!!!

Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • Hi Albatross, I have a similar problem. I tried to put a password onto my broadband connection, I only succeeded in messing everything up.I have three computers on this network, After my failed attempt on the broadband connection, I couldn't do anything with any of them. Netgear helped to reset the router and the wireless access point on the first computer, and now that works ok. The desktop,which is the one I attempted to put the password on, cannot access the web, it connects to the network, but when I try to go online it 'can't find server' can't find host in OE. I tried some of the test inCMD Ping 192.168.0.1 replied packets sent =4 received =0 lost =4 100% lost
    I then tried ipconfig/release reply: failed as no adaptor is in the state permissable for this operation. Device manager says this adaptor is working OK. I might add the third computer will only work whilst is in close proximity to the router. Belkin says that may be a faulty card.I have changed it once already.
    I would appreciate any help you may offer
    Thanks
  • Hi

I have a similar problem with my wireless broadband, since Tiny refuse to honour their warranty on my laptop (which cost £500) :mad: I've come here for help.

I realise I need to post a ipconfig /all command to help with the diagnosis and I will do so as soon as I get a chance. I thought I'd just post a brief outline of my problem.

Basically my wireless LAN has stopped being able to access the internet via broadband. The connection is hosted by the guy in the flat below, he has very kindly allowed us to use his broadband for free. My girlfriend and other people in the flats below have had no problems with their access. It started off working fine for me and then it began to kick me out after 30mins online. It would then refuse me to log back on eventhough it shows it's connected and the signal strength is excellent. Now it won't let me access broadband at all through IE or Firefox, though dial-up still works but is obviously very slow.

I did have ZoneAlarms installed but I have taken it off now at the suggestion of the guy downstairs that owns the connection. He knows his stuff as he works in IT but he can't find my problem and now suggests I back up everything and re-load the entire system from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    removing zonealarm could expose your PC to hacking, if every neighbour in the block is attaching to the router.

can you ping the routers ip address?

it could be interference from a video sender, cordless phone, someone else's router.
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    I then tried ipconfig/release reply: failed as no adaptor is in the state permissable for this operation. Device manager says this adaptor is working OK.

I might add the third computer will only work whilst is in close proximity to the router. Belkin says that may be a faulty card.I have changed it once already.
    I would appreciate any help you may offer
    Thanks

Priscilla - do the cmd then type " ipconfig/all" look for the line DHCP enabled - if it is no you are not set to get an address from the router

get back will talk you thru setting that to yes.

As per the card have you other wireless cards that work at a distance from the router ? If so you may have another duff card - but first try to update the driver. HTH
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    I assume priscilla is ok now, as she hasn't followed her post up for 2.5 months, lamb has resurrected the thread..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport