PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze shepherds pie?

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    I dont like Shepards Pie:D

PP
    xx
    ooh you little liar :D math, did you hear that :D
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I cook up the mince mixture and then let it cool (quickly), I make the mash and slap it on top .... I then freeze it.

I then put it in the oven from cold and ensure it is cooked to bubbling throughout :)

DH and I processed a lot of mince last week .. and we've got a freezer full of shepherd's pie etc :)

Yum Yum.....
    GC - March 2024 -
  • pingua
    pingua Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Not quite shephards pie but I bought some taglatelle (sp??) the other week. They were on bogof and it said suitable for freezing so put one in freezer. Went to get it the other day, I put it in oven and it was still frozen after 25 mins.
    I dug in the bin and found the packaging in tiny letters it said defrost before cooking. Tried to 'fix' it by putting it in the microwave but it ended up in the bin.
    Was annoyed as I too am used to just putting these things straight in the oven as and when the kids decide what they want.

Totally off topic but you have inspired me to go and do the pie thing this week.
  • I rarely cook Shepards Pie:p but when I do I double batch, cook them then wait for the other to cool, then freeze. I also freeze in portions in bags, as I find these easier to store. I thaw overnight, then cook through in the oven.

As I havent had SP for sooo long, Imay get some minced lamb out and do some batch cooking, for when I occasionally fancy it:D

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont like Shepards Pie:D

PP
    xx

:eek: :spam::eek: Someone is using PP's profile to post untruths and lies. Obviously they have lured her away from the PC with the heady aroma of a mince and mash dish, and are taking liberties while she is away.

Post reported to abuse:D :rotfl:
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    I make my SPs in pyrex dishes so I can defrost them from frozen. I make sure they are hot then finish them off under the grill. Do the same for fish pie and lasagnes too.
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    This maybe a daft question but is it alright to freeze shepards pies in pot dishes and pyrex?Thanks
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hadley wrote:
    This maybe a daft question but is it alright to freeze shepards pies in pot dishes and pyrex?Thanks

I do it. But I read somewhere that you shouldn't put the dish from the freezer straight into the oven as the dish can crack/break. I always defrost mine in the fridge overnight first before cooking.

The glaze on some of the (cheap) ceramic dishes I have now show faint lines in the glaze but the dishes are ok and sound. The proper pyrex ones have been fine - no problems at all.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Thanks for the answer Newlywed
  • Title says it all really :) Made with quorn mince, if it makes a difference.
    (yes i know it's a silly q but I've never frozen anything with mashed potato before! )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure