Taking a wrongful dismissal case to tribunal

Comments

• dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2010 at 12:49PM
    EllieA wrote: »
    Ok well i'm telling you he didn't hang up on the customers, so can we please look at the situation from that point of view. Im looking for help based on my point of view not for someone to come and stand up for the bank.

The letter for the 28 days notice actually went out 2 weeks ago so i think we should be just in time. The claim has as far as im aware already been submited to the tribunal the date is for when a decision will me made without the banks input.

Ellie - I would check just to make sure. Either check with the solicitor or contact your local tribunal office (their details can be obtained from the tribunal website).

I am a little confused by the fact that your solicitor has sent a letter to the bank demanding a response/settlement. This is not the same as an ET3 form which the employer should have received in response to a claim to a tribunal from the tribunal office. Have you received a copy of the ET3 from your solicitor or the tribunal office? Is your solicitor updating you with the progress of the 'claim'? I would certainly give him/her a call to update the situation -ASAP.

These might help:

http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/Documents/FormsGuidance/09_1177_MakingaClaim.pdf

http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/Documents/FormsGuidance/09_1178_Responding.pdf

There are not just financial implications at stake, but the reputation of your OH as this issue could hang over him for a long time in respect of future employment.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I sometimes have to hang up on customers as they don't terminate the call properly, or they themselves hang up whilst waiting to be transferred and I'm on the phone to the other department. My manager knows these sort of things happen and nothing has ever been said to me. Do they have recordings of the calls, or as they use where I work, a system where they can see what you click during calls to prove he was hanging up on? (as most telephones are on screen in call centres).
  • rupee99
    rupee99 Posts: 242 Forumite
    OP please ignore the sniping between Anihilator and others, there is a history that does not concern your husband´s case.

Essentially you are talking about a potential case for UNFAIR dismissal, not wrongful as stated in the thread title. This would be heard in front of an Employment Tribunal. As has been stated there is a time limit of 3 months from the date of dismissal. Wrongful dismissal is a tort at common law that is an altogether more complicated and expensive action that has to be taken in the High Court.

The burden of proof, which is "the balance of probabilities" otherwise known as "preponderence of evidence" falls upon the bank. You will need to discredit the bank´s evidence sufficiently to put doubt in the Tribunal's mind that it was a reasonable decision to dismiss your husband.

Comments here about his "guilt" or otherwise are quite irrelevant. It is unlikely that your husband would have been able to put sufficient information here to come to an informed decision, even less likely that you as a third party would be able to do so. Tribunals do not work on prejudice or general perceptions but evidence and arguments that are laid before them.

If you are out of time to make a claim for an Unfair dismissal claim you may then have two courses of action. You could start a Wrongful dismissal claim, that has to be brought in front of the High Court, or you could start action against the solicitor for not properly advising you. Neither of these would be attractive options, not least of all because of the associated cost.
  • Agree with dpassmore, very, very important for you to know for sure that your ET1 claim has been submitted to the tribunal service.

Agree with lufgirl and in my view 10 advisor abandons in 12 months would not be cause for concern. Deliberate abandonment of customer calls for no just cause is usually classed as gross misconduct in call centres. I don't understand the fraud element of the allegation here though so the whole thing sounds odd to me.

Some call centre systems have the technology that enables them to show whether a call was terminated by the advisor or the customer. Others don't and can only decide what they believe probably happened from call reports, call recordings and evidence of customer call backs and customer complaints.
  • Sorry I’ve just spoken to my husband (in a slight panic) he says the letter we received yesterday was forwarded on by the solicitor but was from the tribunal saying that they have received and agreed our claim, and they have given the bank 28 days to respond.

To be fair I would have thought a bank would have had such a system to monitor calls, but they didn’t seem to use it in their investigations, as their evidence seems to just state that the call was not received by the other department, no-where in the transcripts or the evidence does it mention a system which logged him as ending the call and im sure if they’d been capable it would have been logged and used as evidence.

As people have said this is about my husbands reputation, yes money would be nice right now but the most important thing to me is my husbands well being, being fired in this manner has caused him great distress, he refuses to tell family and friends what happened because he’s ashamed which means no-one understands the difficulty we are in. His confidence and self worth has been crushed.
  • EllieA. Phew, that means that your ET1 was submitted in time :D Be aware that this all takes time to resolve, months and sometimes beyond so you should organise your finances meantime.

Understand how your husband is feeling. It's not easy and takes courage and support to bring a case but agree with you if he wants his name cleared it has to be done.
  • Oh and although it's hard to pass views about the case based on the limited detail that you have given, I'm assuming that the fact that a no win no fee solicitor has taken on your case means that he views it as having a reasonable chance of success (they won't take on weak cases) which your husband should feel more positive about.
  • neil9313
    neil9313 Posts: 696 Forumite
    WeakHeart wrote: »
    EllieA. Phew, that means that your ET1 was submitted in time :D Be aware that this all takes time to resolve, months and sometimes beyond so you should organise your finances meantime.

Understand how your husband is feeling. It's not easy and takes courage and support to bring a case but agree with you if he wants his name cleared it has to be done.

ET's are very busy at the moment. Expect to wait around 6 months for a date
  • paulrn_2
    paulrn_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    I dont normall feed trolls but anihilator, your life must be very very sad to have to try and get human interaction by trying to inject confrontation into so many threads. try getting out more, meeting people, althougth if you are like it in real life I expect you might just meet your match. I am sure however you will just carry on, do not expect to have a long and happy exchange on this as I have a life.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    paulrn wrote: »
    I dont normall feed trolls but anihilator, your life must be very very sad to have to try and get human interaction by trying to inject confrontation into so many threads. try getting out more, meeting people, althougth if you are like it in real life I expect you might just meet your match. I am sure however you will just carry on, do not expect to have a long and happy exchange on this as I have a life.

There would be little point in giving the OP one side of the outcome. They won't go to an ET and just win. The other party may fight it and if so the OP will have to take actions.

If their system shows calls were logged and needed transferred but werent transferred then the OP will need to come up with evidence/arguments of a reasonable nature which outweighs theres.

To dismiss they only need to follow the procedures and have a reasonable belief based on the facts of guilt ( as per rupee). At the moment if there system shows calls not being transferred when they should have then this exists and it will be either for the OP to show some procedural failing or that this evidence is wrong/flawed to win.

Simply showing up and saying he didnt hang up is unlikely to win. If he gets statements etc from experts; colleagues; customers etc that backed him up in that calls could go missing for genuine reasons then he probably would.

Its as simple as that but he wont win by simply saying he didnt hang up on them hence any advice given on this basis would be flawed.

It sounds like the OP now really needs just to wait and see the companies response as it sounds like they just miscommunicated what the solicitor had said. The fact a no win no fee lot took it on is encouraging but the terms best be checked for any liability on the OP's part if it goes wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure