The Great British Mobility Group

Comments

• angela_55
    angela_55 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks to all for your advice, I have contacted trading standards who have advised writing to them again with a 7-14 refund date and to contact them if nothing has been recieved. Where do these companies get off in scamming the vulnerable, I had only requested a brochere for mum with no calls via their internet site, in hindsight I only wished I had been there, after giving her a price for a bed she had told the 'salesman' she wanted her family involved , he told her she did not need them there, she trusted this guy.
  • They are sick! Im on a work placement for a mobility company and im trying to promote them and its scum like this who stop the elderly and vulnerable seeking help from reputable companies (we are NHS voucher chair suppliers)

you could also try threats of small claims court! i think its the distance selling regulations where as you have to be given the 14 day cooling off period and within that time if you cancel you have to be returned to the status you were in before youmade the "agreement" if you look on google you should find some guff to put into a letter, I truely hope you get the money back.

Best wishes

Kirsty
    xx
  • Hi Jim,

My parents ordered 2 chairs and paid their deposit of half the cost on 4th May. Delivery was quoted as 4-6 weeks. 10 days ago they rang to find out when to expect delivery only to be told that there had been a problem with the supply of leather, hence delay on delivery. I have tried to contact the company this morning but so far have only been able to leave a message and am waiting for them to ring back. From what I see on your link, this is not likely to happen. Anyway, I'll keep trying and get back to you with more info.

Vanda
  • Good luck Vanda, the only way to get a reply to a call is to go through sales, otherwise you can only get through to switch board who take a message and never pass it on, I have seen loads of bad reveiws regarding this company now and they are still operating, as I said good luck to you and I hope you recieve your order, I think the problem only arises when a refund is needed. Angela
  • The best advice I can give anyone when dealing with mobility companies is ask for the price before ever allowing a salesman into your home. If the company will not give you a price over the phone they do not entertain them. They will be expensive. A colour advert full page in say the daily mirror would be around £9000 for the day, the customers have to pay this obviously.This company in question spend thousands and thousands a week, they pay great commission(it will be around 15 to 20% for the self-employed sales rep. The higher the price the more his commission.
    The pitch will be fine tuned, they will stay a minimum of 2 hours(people buy from people they like), and they will deliver extreamley quick so you dont have time to "think about it"
    Always ask about price before having someone come round, no price, no visit.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would agree wholeheartedly with the advice not to deal with any company that will not give a price for goods over the phone (whatever their excuse for not providing a price).

The ONLY reason companies will not provide prices over the phone is so that they can get into your home and give you a high pressure sales pitch.

The fact is that companies are supposed to provide you with prices over the phone, according to a Principal Trading Standards officer I spoke to, the problem seems to be in enforcing the legislation!
  • amacuk
    amacuk Posts: 17 Forumite
    My mother (who has two chairs on order with this Company) has today received a notice from Hazlewoods LLP that The Great British Mobility Company Limited is seeking to enter into a Company Voluntary Arrangement with it's creditors.

As my mother has paid a substantial deposit she is classed as a creditor.

I suggest readers contact the company to discuss the situation. They are trying to continue to trade and appear to be taking their responsibilities to Customers seriously. Hazlewoods LLP are the Nominee, based in Gloucester. I believe they have around 200 Customers who have paid deposits but not yet received the goods.
  • My mum has also recieved a letter about GBM, seems they have taken the easy way out, and they say they are to pay the money back over 10 months, so the lies about a cheque ready to post was all lies. Mum needs the money now as Dad passed away on the 4th July. I hope they never trade again and the owner rots.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would suggest making contact with the publication that you saw Great British Mobility Mobility advertise in and tell them of the current situation of Great British Mobility and its creditors.

Also make the point that Great British Mobility does NOT take its responsibilities seriously as it fails to abide by the law to make clear the prices of its products.
  • It's about time this firm got their just desserts!!!
    The downside is that the real victims will be the people who have paid deposits, and paid in full for their items, along with those that still have warranties on goods purchased from this company!!

I am in the mobility industry, and I can assure you this is not sour grapes!!
    We are told almost on a daily basis about how GBM pressure sell, and over inflate their prices, their poor customer service etc etc....

One customer paid £8000, yes, that is not a typing error, £8000, for 2 Rise and recline chairs 3 years ago, and that was "Buy one get one free"!!! They have been returned to the workshop on no less than 7 times with various faults!!
    The one chair has just returned from the workshop, and is currently working - but for how long???
    GBM keep fobbing this customer, and other customers, off!!!
    The same 2 chairs would cost £1900 from us, same specifications, same fabric, same everything!! Is it really buy one get one free????
    We could have saved the customer £6100!!!!!

My advice is shop locally!!!

Most of us even offer a "genuine" no obligation in home service - because we care about what we do!!!!

I say "Good Riddance to this company!!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport