Lloyd Loom

I have done a google on how to paint a couple of pieces of Lloyd Loom I have. It has been suggested that the best way is to spray paint. Does anyone have any experience of painting Lloyd Loom. It was suggested to use satin paint, but I much prefer a matt finish.

Also I mentioned this to someone who said he had access to a compressor and sprayer, but he didnt know if it would take any kind of paint. What do you think?

Helpful comments gratefully received on ths little renovation project.

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ive always used spray paint on them. just use the spray cans.
    no need to use a proper spray gun etc...
    btw. i prefer to use a satin finish too.
    Get some gorm.
  • What type of spray paint?
  • I've had several pieces of Lloyd Loom furniture that have been painted again and again to match my decor over the years. I tried spray paint once but it was such a faff I've never bothered since - and anyway I've never found the finish/colour I want in a spray can. For a nice matt finish I've always used eggshell paint, thinned down a little bit, and a paintbrush. And you can get eggshell mixed in any colour you want to match your colour scheme - you're not limited by the colours available in spray paint. As I say, my furniture has been painted at least half a dozen times and still looks good.
  • ormus
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Home

or even ordinary car paint spray. works well cause it doesnt clog up the weave.
    do it outside though!
    Get some gorm.
  • ormus wrote: »
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Home

or even ordinary car paint spray. works well cause it doesnt clog up the weave.
    do it outside though!

Maybe so but who would want their furniture in the colour of any car? Plasti-kote is called such because it looks like plastic. A tragic waste of a Lloyd Loom chair!
  • So eggshell paint, is there a recommendation for which brand? I must admit the only spray paint that my limited knowledge had was car spray paint and that's the reason I wasn't keen on it.

My daughter's bf is going to find out if the sprayed will take eggshell, which would be my preferred finish. I would be interested in sites showing newly sprayed items, if anyone could point me in the direction
  • ormus
    Peartree wrote: »
    Maybe so but who would want their furniture in the colour of any car? Plasti-kote is called such because it looks like plastic. A tragic waste of a Lloyd Loom chair!

think you will find that almost any furniture you own is the same color as some car on the road?
    ie my leather chesterfield suite is the same color as a chocolate brown rolls royce.
    my bookshelves are the same color as a white ford focus.
    Get some gorm.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,766
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree that spray paint works better than brushing it on, as ormus says, it prevents the weave clogging up. I did mine in an ordinary cream can of spray paint from homebase.

I don't think plastikote is called that because it looks like plastic, it just looks like fine paint! That brand name covers paints for all kinds of purposes and with all kinds of finishes.
  • off to Homebase then
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport