Music Magpie - Book Alternative? Selling books etc?

Ok, music magpie format for those who don't know, you whack in the barcodes of games, dvds, cds and get between about 30p - £5 for each item, they send you a packaging label, you send off the stuff, you get a cheque.

Just wandering if there is a book alternative, seeing as I have a massive stack not knowing what to do with them.

Not too bothered about a lot of money, just want to get rid of them.

What are my options, maybe a music magpie alternative? eBay any good for that sorta thing? What about Amazon? Will charity shop it if not.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I need one of these too for all my 1p nasties that i cant get rid of. Ebay is a no for books as of this week. Can try amazon, i list all my expensive books on there, but don't bother with the 1p's
  • trrk
    trrk Posts: 204 Forumite
    CEX paid me 50p per book for a pile of books that had failed ot sell on Ebay and Amazon. Of course this option is only good if you live near a CEX store as postage would outweigh any benefit.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    trrk wrote: »
    CEX paid me 50p per book for a pile of books that had failed ot sell on Ebay and Amazon. Of course this option is only good if you live near a CEX store as postage would outweigh any benefit.

Did they look at what the books were? Were some of these the 1p ones on amazon?

Previous poster - why are books no good on ebay now? Have they made these free P+P as well?
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Someone on another forum mentioned www.fatbrain.co.uk as a site similar to Music Magpie. I've had a look and put in a couple of books which they seemed to be offering reasonable prices for, but then other books I searched for, they 'weren't currently buying'. My guess is that if it is high on amazon's chart they will probably buy it, and if not, they won't. However, I did notice that they were selling a textbook I own for much more than it actually costs to buy so can't see how they will survive like that!!

I haven't heard anything about them, and don't know if they are any good - I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's used them.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have had some success with http://www.greenmetropolis.com
  • paulfoel wrote: »

Previous poster - why are books no good on ebay now? Have they made these free P+P as well?

Yes books are now 'free' Postage so no point in listing any unless you know they will sell, but at the moment ts free listing up to £4.99 so you can list some books as long as they are light. But I think the £4.99 listing only lasts until the 24th.
  • jwil wrote: »
    Someone on another forum mentioned www.fatbrain.co.uk as a site similar to Music Magpie. I've had a look and put in a couple of books which they seemed to be offering reasonable prices for, but then other books I searched for, they 'weren't currently buying'. My guess is that if it is high on amazon's chart they will probably buy it, and if not, they won't. However, I did notice that they were selling a textbook I own for much more than it actually costs to buy so can't see how they will survive like that!!

I haven't heard anything about them, and don't know if they are any good - I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's used them.

What books did they offer on? I've just searched about 50 books and they don't want any of them :(
  • trrk
    trrk Posts: 204 Forumite
    paulfoel wrote: »

Yes, most of them were 1p ones on Amazon. All had failed to sell on Greenmetropolis, Ebay and even Bookmooch. None of the books were on their system so they scanned the barcodes and sent an email away. A response came back a few minutes later (clearly not enough time for the person on the other end to have done any research on what books they were) with 50p per book. Who knows maybe it was even a mistake....

I don't expect this to last as they will realise it is unprofitable so try it quick if you are going to.
  • kelda_shelton
    kelda_shelton Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    anyone got any other idea around this?

Thanks!
  • TUS
    TUS Posts: 692 Forumite
    I have had some success with http://www.greenmetropolis.com

I've had books on here for years and not a single sale.

Music Magpie isn't great IMO.

RE: Books - just freecycle them. You'll never make much from selling them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure