Court order to Force Sale of House

Hello,
Should myself and partner not be able to agree on terms for transfer of equity and she wants to force the sale of our home how much time and money (approx) will it cost her to do it?

More importantly will this money come from the sale of the home or her personal finances and will it cost me anything?

J

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Without reasonable grounds for doing so. You could be liable for all the costs. ( Judges hate time wasters).

Cheaper to agree mutually however painful it is.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Without reasonable grounds for doing so. You could be liable for all the costs. ( Judges hate time wasters).

Cheaper to agree mutually however painful it is.

But what if we can't agree? Will it cost both of us... why would I be liable for all the costs.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can't agree, then to some extent "who pays the costs" comes down to "who does the judge think was being unreasonable".
  • Thrugelmir
    Forumite
    But what if we can't agree? Will it cost both of us... why would I be liable for all the costs.

Because she was "threatening" I assumed you were not in agreement.

Could cost you £1k to £2k. Also could take several months.

Do you have any formal agreement as to the division of equity? If not the starting point is 50/50 in court.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Because she was "threatening" I assumed you were not in agreement.

Could cost you £1k to £2k. Also could take several months.

Do you have any formal agreement as to the division of equity? If not the starting point is 50/50 in court.

House has equity which was paid for by myself (2nd job self employed). Equity is 50/50 and when she left I had almost nothing in my current account and she had a few grand in hers. As we had joint finances I see it only fair that this amount is taken into consideration.

Although I have no legal leg to stand on, she was unwilling to contribute to my tax bill for self employment (Just paid) which all income from was paid into home (But she is holding out for 50% of!).

So my logic is that if she wants 50/50, then all finances should be taken into account.

Im not being unresonable but if she is holding her hand out for half of the equity in our home, I see it only fair that everything is taken into account!
  • Unless her funds are held in a joint account you don't have a leg to stand on. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Agree to the sale, accept the relationship is over and move on.
  • Thrugelmir
    Forumite
    So my logic is that if she wants 50/50, then all finances should be taken into account.

I would suggest she has taken legal advice. As "finances" as such aren't the point at issue its merely the equity in the property.

So I suggest you either do likewise to investigate the possibilty of obtaining a higher share (and the cost of) , or accept the 50/50 split.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure