Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

Comments

• Mortgageman
    Mortgageman Posts: 158 Forumite
    Yeah, that happened a lot to me.

A couple of years ago I had a 2k worth of cc debts, got a cheaper rate and transfered the balance.

Original provider phoned and offered a much lower rate than they had done before I changed. So I changed back

Then the new provider - who I had transfered than balance to, and then from then called and offered a 0% rate. So I changed back again :)

I was waiting fot the call form the original cc company offering me a negative interest rate, but it never came :(
    I work for a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    ( I have ammeded this signature slightly, as I do not actively provide mortgage advice. However, I support and adhere to the moneysavingexpert mortgage broker code of conduct)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    An update on the first direct refusal.

I applied for the gold card and was turned down, despite having been a customer for over 10 years. I rattled off a complaining email and lo and behold I received a phone call today appologising and offering me a gold card with 0% for the first 6 months.

Well done First Direct, you may have fouled up but you did put it right!
  • laminki
    laminki Posts: 140 Forumite
    Paul M

take the money from Lloyds TSB and stick it in a high interest account until the new rate elapses then transfer it back.
  • Capital One Platinum Card are offering 4.9% balance transfer for life of balance :-/...

Already have a 0% BC :-*. Just waiting to find out if I my application for a 0% Premeirship BC will be approved :P

In for a penny (BC) in for a pound (permiership BC) ;D
    something missing
  • System
    Community Admin
    ;DI have just phoned Capital One and told them I wanted to transfer to them a balance of £2000. They said I had a high credit score and rather than lose me as a customer they offered me 10.7 percent on purchases and 6.9 percent on balance transfers for life. When I first spoke to them they said 12.9 on balance transfers and 12.7 on purchases. [flash=200,200][/flash]
    Also they said I could have all my credit card limit in cash if I wanted rather than just 50 percent etc.
    Ok I can do better but at least it pays to negotiate.
    I have now been offered 3.9 percent from LLoyds for 6 months or 5.9 for life of transfer. Have decided to go for 3.9 percent.
    Who said credit cards are a bad thing. ;)
  • System
    Community Admin
    I've had a Diners Club charge card for a few years, and in February was offered a new 'Companion Credit Card' with a standard 14.9%APR, and an ongoing offer of 4.9% APR for the life of a balance transfer. No purchases need to be applied to ensure eligibility for the balance transfer rate. It's apparently only a targeted offer--just not sure how large the target is!

Only the standard charge card continues to require an annual fee to be paid.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,352
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Beneficial - a brand of HFC (who also do Marbles) are offering 5.9 APR on balances transferred before 15 October and that rate will last until 31/03/04. I just happened to check the account online today, thinking "I wonder?" Last time I went there they had up an offer to 31/12/03 at 7.9 APR for balances transferred before 31 July. In other words, it's worth looking out for  these 'repeat' or 'rollover' deals which they tend to keep improving on slightly. b]Update, 27 October[/b]: [i]As suspected, they have 'rolled over' this offer - extending the end date 2 months and allowing qualifying BTs - again at 5.9 - upto the end of November. Worth checking![/iMBNA tend to do the same thing, but I'm wary of them since they introduced a discretionary BT fee.

Halifax have recently sent out a letter [ref 'HL7783 BA')] offering 6.9 APR for life-of-balance if transferred before 30 Sept. They confusingly state that the rate will be: '0.5614 (variable)  for the life of the balance'
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • System
    Community Admin
    Rang Halifax Card Services to close my Halifax Classic card (zero balance on it). Was put through to someone from "customer satisfaction department" was offered 9.9% for life on BT.

(I declined and closed the a/c).
  • Nickynoo1
    Nickynoo1 Posts: 390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Went to close my virgin credit account as the offer rate ended and went to 13% and was offered a further reduced rate of 3.9% for 6 months. I wanted 2 balance transfers and was told the second one would incur a charge of £35. So transferred the lump sum into my current account and transferred all out from there with no fee!. I know 3.9% isn't great but it saves another credit search in my name, and it's still cheaper than it was.

Nicky
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • System
    Community Admin
    I have just been received an RBS Advanta Platinum card with 0% for both balance transfers and purchases until 1st June 2004.

Although I don't think I would want to make any cash withdrawals - 15.9% kicks in straight away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure