PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• I have my frozen veg sorted my carrots, parsnip, sprouts and roast veg. Some of the ideas sound great. I am no the only one!

I keep telling myself and others its only a roast dinner lol
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    .......heard a chef on the radio yesterday saying that if you prepare your roast potatoes on Christmas Eve, don't put them into the fridge - it's too cold and can turn them grey. Better to use an unheated room or garage.

Once hers have got to just golden, she drains them off and when cool puts them into plastic box in the spare bedroom - then on Christmas day she puts them in the oven to crisp without any extra fat - she says they are always perfect!
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    yesterday I par boiled all my veg, spouts, carrots, parsnips and potatoes. I always par boil potatoes and freeze ready for roasting. I then pour some oil over them and roast from frozen they come out very crisp and floury in the middle. I got the tip from Good housekeeping a few years ago and it has never failed. I will cook the turkey breast on 24th, slice it all ready for 25th. We have 10 this year for lunch and at the moment my husband is in hospital, we are hoping he will be home on 25th. I have prepared everything to make my life easier on the day. Will sort the dining room out at the weekend ie table etc and cover with plastic dust sheet. Still have not put up the tree, will try to do it today.
  • Chris25
    rev229 wrote: »
    . I will cook the turkey breast on 24th, slice it all ready for 25th. .

rev229, do you reheat in the microwave or in gravy in the oven?
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rev229 wrote: »
    yesterday I par boiled all my veg, spouts, carrots, parsnips and potatoes. I always par boil potatoes and freeze ready for roasting. I then pour some oil over them and roast from frozen they come out very crisp and floury in the middle. I got the tip from Good housekeeping a few years ago and it has never failed. I will cook the turkey breast on 24th, slice it all ready for 25th. We have 10 this year for lunch and at the moment my husband is in hospital, we are hoping he will be home on 25th. I have prepared everything to make my life easier on the day. Will sort the dining room out at the weekend ie table etc and cover with plastic dust sheet. Still have not put up the tree, will try to do it today.

Hope your husband's out for Christmas Rev229, great forward planning with the veg, best of luck.

I was wondering, can I cook my huge joint of beef the day before then slice it up and chuck it in the slow cooker with HM gravy? I was thinking it might be lovely and juicy and tender after sitting in hot gravy for a day, or will it just fall apart?
    Still haven't decided on best way to cook the gammon and I have not got a clue how I am meant to reheat/cook all the veg in my tiny oven, especially now our microwave is bust and I can't reheat anything in that.
    How do I reheat carrot/swede mash now it's frozen?
    Beginning to regret my freezing frenzy now I don't have the MW!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Chris25
    I prefer my beef twice-cooked. I slice it and reheat in gravy in the oven - have tried the slowcooker but it fell apart (but still tasted great).

Ragz - Do you have a steamer? you could put buttered foil over the holes and reheat veggies that way or put in low oven. And that would save-up your slow cooker for the gammon :)
  • Ragz, can you please tell me how you do the cheesy leeks, i.e how far you prep, then how you cook? Thanks.

Thanks for all the ideas on here, I've never prepared christmas dinner, it's always been done on the day, but I must admit to buying a lot of the veggies, stuffing and the like rtc on xmas eve morning. I'm thinking though, that I might try and do Rev's roast tatties idea. Do, I add the oil before or after freezing?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• deebee
    deebee Posts: 511 Forumite
    mmm cheesy leeks sound yummy....made the roasted vine tomato soup yesterday, taht's now in the freezer, today I par-boiled my potatoes and fried them in some veg oil for a minute, popped into the freezer ready to cook on Christmas day, also prepared my batton carrots (huge pack from Aldi for 39p :)), par boiled and bunged in the freezer ready, off to M & S tomorrow for a beef joint, and hopefully a yummy pud - hopefully something gooey with chocolate, and that should be christmas day sorted :)
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    You lot are awful :p
    I'm gonna have to buy bigger plates this year you know..all these 'extras' to do :rolleyes:
    The thing I always prep is Delias parmesan parsnips and freeze them.
    Most of the rest is done the day before
    Turkey cooked and sliced
    Beef or whatever cooked
    Carrots julienned etc
    much the same as others

The rest I do when we get back from my parents while Dad handles all the assembly for the toys :rotfl:
  • lynn2
    lynn2 Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ragz, can you please tell me how you do the cheesy leeks, i.e how far you prep, then how you cook? Thanks.

I'd like to know how you do cheesy leeks too:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure