PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gammon shank

i bought it from morrisons for £1.49 and was wondering what I can do with it.

I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker.

I bought some scotch broth mix as well incase I can use the meat for soup.

I would like to try somethin different (not spicy though)

Ta

Comments

• Hi,

Try this thread here : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=256992&highlight=hock

I usually cook mine on the hob in plenty of water. I use the water for split pea and ham soup, and the majority of the meat for sandwiches or quiche, or french bread pizza.

Hope that helps!

PGxx
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BOILED HAM plus PEA & HAM SOUP

For 2 servings of soup

INGREDIENTS

1 ham joint
    500ml of water
    125g of peas
    Ground black pepper to taste

METHOD

Rinse the ham in cold water, then soak the ham in cold water for at least 6 hours, changing the water once or twice if it is very salty, or according to any cooking instructions. If you are using dried peas, soak them in water according to the instructions.

Put the ham into a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. If you are using soaked dried peas, add them now. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering).

Put the lid on the saucepan and cook according to the cooking instructions on the ham. Remove any salty white scum, which will probably form on the surface of the water. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

Remove the ham.

If you are using fresh, frozen or tinned peas, add them now. Continue cooking until the peas are soft. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy.

Season with the pepper. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

You can use dried, fresh, frozen or tinned peas. However, dried peas have to be soaked in advance.

Shred some of the ham and add it to the soup before serving.

Omit the ham and make pea soup.

TIPS

Pea soup can be any consistency from a thin liquid with soft peas floating in it to a thick paste you can stand a spoon up in.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • There was a recipe in the Independent magazine last Saturday for Guinness-Baked Ham Hock, (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/guinnessbaked-ham-hock-1642778.html). When I got my gammon shank from Morrisons last night, the butcher said the gammon shank could be used just as well. I'm trying it tomorrow.
  • Bought one this morning as it was cheap in morrisons and never cooked one before so no idea what to do with it now, any suggestions would be appreciated?

Dh thinks we can get crackling out of it but i'm not sure if roasting is the best way to cook it?

TIA :)
  • Jai_M
    Jai_M Posts: 113 Forumite
    My mother usually grills it, and serves along with crouquettes(fried) and peas/sweetcorn.

I then add lashings of cheese and mayo :)

Occasionally its used in the house as 'fat bacon'. ie, fry up with gamon instead of bacon.

Apparently gammon goes with pineapples and eggs, on top??
  • sheldon08
    sheldon08 Posts: 29,570 Forumite
    I don't know if yours is boneless or not? When I buy a gammon joint I usually cook it in cola, 'sort of' following this recipe It's VERY yummy. Sometimes I don't faff with it at the end and just cook it in the cola then eat it. I usually buy the 19p cola to cook it in:money:
    :dance:Mash p'tater, mash p'tater:dance:

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!

:j:j:jthanks! :D

Here's the coke thread

Ill merge this later on

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    The only use I've ever found for gammon hocks is making soup!! I don't like it used in anything else, it can be quite fatty and tough if its not been cooked really slowly. I've tried roasting one before and it was HORRIBLE!!! I usually use them for pea and ham soup, there are some nice recipes on BBC good food.
  • Owl
    Owl Posts: 273 Forumite
    Bung in SC overnight on low.... pour off stock and make soup, strip bone of meat and put in sarnies etc. Very nice and a MrM one lasts my Dh for 4 days of lunches!!

Owl x
    Children are born with wings .... Teachers help them to fly
    One day your life is going to flash in front of your eyes.... Make sure it's worth watching!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure