IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

bailiffs took my car

Comments

• give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    It's an aside to the query, but insurance is the one essential for a car and should all be fixed up BEFORE you drive it.....
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Tilt wrote: »
    Well if you were driving it without insurance, you were liable to get it seized anyway. If the old bill had of clocked you by ANPR, that's exactly what would of happend.

I see this differently... karma.

You are making an assumption here, you don't know if this person was driving the car without insurance, he could have a full comp insurance on another car and drive it third party as its insured by the seller still, or it could have been parked on the seller's driveway waiting for it to be collected.

How else would they have known to tow the car from the person buying it, I presume they have different addresses.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It does not say the car was on the road, let alone being driven, even if it was its of no concern to the bailiffs. Had it been the DVLA/police then it would be important but as it is (assuming not a fiddle to avoid bailiffs) they have no right to ask for insurance. It should be returned to the same place it was taken from and in the same condition it was in before they took it.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2012 at 12:38PM
    Well perhaps the OP can expand on the insurance issue then.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    edited 3 June 2012 at 12:41PM
    taffy056 wrote: »
    You are making an assumption here, you don't know if this person was driving the car without insurance, he could have a full comp insurance on another car and drive it third party as its insured by the seller still, or it could have been parked on the seller's driveway waiting for it to be collected.

How else would they have known to tow the car from the person buying it, I presume they have different addresses.

In know the word 'IF' is a small word, but it was in there non the less.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • give_them_FA
    I do think the insurance issue is irrelevant. The OP could not drive it as an extension of his own comprehensive cover if it was his, you can only drive a car not belonging to you. Yes indeed, that is assuming it was on the road at all.

If the car had not been levied on by the bailiffs then there was nothing to stop the owner disposing of it to prevent that happening.

The OP can always take them to court on an interpleader to return his property.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    You need to serve a NOTICE OF WARNING upon the Bailiffs, a solicitor will be able to draft the letter for £30 ish, it will warn the bailiffs and place them on notice that they have seized goods they have no lawful right to hold and lay out very clearly a list of expenses occurred daily by them doing so, this can be a hire car, taxis, bus fares, the depreciation of the vehicle and a flagrancy charge for ignoring the notice.
    Once served the Bailiffs will become liable for any costs lost through their actions and the OP is entitled to be placed in a position that does not leave them any worse than before.
    If they refuse to return the vehicle by the same way they took it, then then charges continue, its their money.
    Contact a local solicitor.
    But first makes sure the vc5 is dotted and crossed and the dates pre-date the seizure.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tilt
    I'll stick to my opinions in post 11. IF the OP was driving the car without the appropriate minimum insurance cover, then as far as i'm concerned, the bailiffs have prevented further offences being committed and the possibility of some poor sod being involved in an accident with the OP.

So sorry, but I do think the insurance is relevant.

HOWEVER if the OP had magically managed to transport the car away from the seller and keeping it off road for those 2 days while getting the insurance sorted, then as the OP has apparently already provided sufficient proof, he/she should notify the bailiffs that they have wrongly levied on the car where the warrant has no connection with him/her and as such requires them to release it otherwise it will be considered to be stolen and reported accordingly. Perhaps the bailiffs may require to check that the car is adequately insured before releasing it.
    PLEASE NOTE
  • give_them_FA
    Tilt, in no way am I condoning driving without insurance. But as regards the subject of this thread it is a side issue and there is no evidence the OP did anything wrong on that score.

Indeed, I take Taffy's point that the car probably remained on the original owner's premises, otherwise how would the bailiffs have located it?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tilt wrote: »
    I'll stick to my opinions in post 11. IF the OP was driving the car without the appropriate minimum insurance cover, then as far as i'm concerned, the bailiffs have prevented further offences being committed and the possibility of some poor sod being involved in an accident with the OP.

So sorry, but I do think the insurance is relevant.

HOWEVER if the OP had magically managed to transport the car away from the seller and keeping it off road for those 2 days while getting the insurance sorted, then as the OP has apparently already provided sufficient proof, he/she should notify the bailiffs that they have wrongly levied on the car where the warrant has no connection with him/her and as such requires them to release it otherwise it will be considered to be stolen and reported accordingly. Perhaps the bailiffs may require to check that the car is adequately insured before releasing it.
    Why? Its not for them to decide.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure