'Tart Alert' and 'dates for your diary' discussion

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
Forumite
edited 10 June 2010 at 12:12PM in Credit cards

This discussion relates to the

To discuss, ask a question about the article or suggest a product which people should be warned about: click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• What's the best thing to do with cards that have been used for 'tarting' and then finished with? ie moved on to new card deal. Do I cancel my old card or just cut it up?:confused:
  • davemktm wrote: »
    What's the best thing to do with cards that have been used for 'tarting' and then finished with? ie moved on to new card deal. Do I cancel my old card or just cut it up?:confused:

dave, i'm just in the process of losing my virginity & becoming a tart. I'm hoping to transfer my current credit card debt onto the 'Abbey Zero' credit card, as recommended by Martin, as it comes with 6 month 0% interest & is fees free, then i'm hoping to 'tart' again (using the 'tart alert' of course).
    During the application process, the very pleasant Abbey advisor did mention that from some time in the near future (sorry, can't remember the exact date), there'll be a ten pound charge every 6 months that the card is not used. So in answer to your question you should contact whichever card company your with & don't just cut the card up but cancel it, as i strongly suspect that if Abbey are adopting this charge then i'd expect 'em all to get on board..............i'm guessing the ten quid charge is directly aimed at us 'tarts'!
    Hope this helps.
  • So Mark just to clarify, once i have transfered my balance to another 0% credit card i phone and cancel my old card?

Is it then possible to reapply when then have anther other 0% offer on, say in a year or so time? :confused:

Thanks
  • Hi, this is not a reply but the same question. i am a regular tart and I now have about 10 credit cards, 9 of which I don't use as i transfer to the 0% balance new one each time. should i close the other cards, and then reapply to them when they have a new 0% deal or should i leave them open?
  • I have the same problem, when you apply for a new card, that is when you get the offer, as i now have maybe half a dozen cards, when I come to re apply, the offers available on cards that I already have are not available to me as an existing customer, there is usually no incentive to use the old cards so its likely that the best thing to do is cancel, however, Virgin has offered o% on spending for a short time? would appreciate some advice with this.
  • Recently when I tried to remortgage, I was informed by a mortgage adviser that most financial companies do not like to know that you have credit cards with big credit limits that you are not using as they say that there is a open risk that you may one day use all that credit card limit and not be able to pay it back. This can make you look less favourable to them.
  • mand72
    mand72 Posts: 66
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there,

Please could you tell me whether there is a website or somewhere on this amazing site, where you can type in all your savings products and it lets you know when they change the interest rates on savings accounts. So not just when your own introductory period ends but when they change their variable rates. I know banks and building societies only have to advertise rate changes in certain papers,etc and we don't receive individual notifications. I feel i should have ditched and switched lots of accounts but haven't kept up to date. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
  • gnimia
    gnimia Posts: 199 Forumite
    Is it just me, or is this not working any more?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure